What did you do in the garden today?

@Wee Farmer Sarah I haven't seen the chippies out here yet! I'm guessing soon then if you have. Are you painting the kitchen cabinets yourself? Do you have a plan on how you're going to do it? As I've told you, DH wants to replace the cabinets here, I want to try & paint them first.

@Acre4Me I'm trying the little peat pellets this year to start my seeds, I've never used them before but I have high hopes that I can go straight from the pellets into the garden. I'm limited on space for starting seeds - i'm taking over DHs ammo loading counter. :gig

Not much going on here in the garden, though I can finally see it! Next weekend I will start seeds & maybe get the row tunnel up. Except I can't find the hoops. :rant No idea where I put them. I have one more place to look...

Integration with the littles is going very well. Chickens are mean bullies, but they seem to be doing pretty well. I don't think I'll have to cull any mean girls this time, thankfully.

Enjoy the weekend all!

All our local garden centers have been slow to get supplies out. Seeds are already stocked, but trays, lights, pots, etc still have empty space on the shelves. I should be fine anyway, just like to poke around and look at that stuff when I'm out shopping.

If I beat out the rugs in the garden, does that count?

Finally good weather out, and the indoor only cats are losing their minds watching the birds on the feeder. Just had one (a cat) run face first into the screen door at full speed. The screen is not a new addition! :idunno

little peat pellets this year to start my seeds, I've never used them before but I have high hopes that I can go straight from the pellets into the garden.

This is what I primarily use. Easy. No big deal to toss the ones that didn't sprout or are thin/weak. For Tomatoes and peppers, I transplant into larger quart yogurt containers I drill holes in the bottom. This gives them time to grow more and develop more roots and not die from a hard freeze in May, bc I can still bring them inside at night if needed. But, I find these easy to use.

Today, I went ahead and ordered some insect netting from Amazon. Not a lot, just what should work for the brassicas. I also bought some trellis netting for beans or cukes or peas. Maybe that will work well on our bean towers (although since they are 10' tall, I may also add a few stings for extra support.

Cold, yet sunny. When driving in the car it is HOT bc of the sun. But, get out and take a walk at the park and it is very cold!

Need to find some kind of supports for the insect netting.

This morning I waterer the indoor starters and plants.

It was a nice day here today. In the 40s and sunny but not windy. Not my ideal weather, but I'll take it. We went to Farm and Fleet to grab chicken feed and new bedding for the coop. I let DS pick out a bird feeder while there also. We then took the kids to Bass Pro Shop to see the big fish tank and waterfall. R binned around and didn't buy much except a keychain for both DS and DD and a little sign for my bar. It was just nice to be out and about. When we got home I cleaned out the coop and then DS and DD helped me spread the new bedding. Then we planted the native plums finally. DD helped plant the first one and DS helped plant the second one. Then e went out front and hung the new bird feeder in a big maple tree. I made it so we can lower it with a rope to refill and then raise it back up. DS was proud to have the feeder he picked out hanging out front and cannot wait to see birds eating from it.

Now we are all back in the house and the kids are driving us nuts of course. It cannot be a lovely day all day of course... I booked an Air bnb earlier today also for a vacation end the end of the month. I keep reminding myself of that now as the tantrums rage.

Didn't make it to the new nursery yesterday because I'd thawed some oxtails and cheek meat for slow-cooking and I didn't want to leave the oven on while I was gone and besides the weather was cold and rainy so not conducive to outdoor wandering. But today was lovely so I went to check out the place, kind of disappointing, nice and new with a cute paying shed but the whole thing wasn't much bigger than a smallish parking lot. I bought a few things cuz a new business needs all the help they can get but it's too far a drive when there's a couple good bigger nurseries closer. So I kind of made a day of it and picked up a few things in town and got Starbucks (mmmm starbucks) but things were busy back at home while I was gone.

Had a gal stop by to discuss trading rabbits with DP for fresh goat's milk, and a nice young couple that stopped by to buy some eggs and who noticed our diagonal neighbor sitting in his tiny front yard had passed away sitting there. I had just talked to him yesterday afternoon when I took him some of the beef stew, and he seemed fine (for him, he has had health issues for all the time we've been here and was older than I am) then. And while I'm sorry for him and his brother and parents, sitting outside in my yard enjoying the fresh air and sun doesn't seem like such a terrible way to pass on.

I planted a bunch of carrots this morning some beets, marigolds and some other flowers. I potted up the dahlias and shifted some of my larger pots around now that they are finally dry enough to move. Turned the compost piles again. Dad did the first mowing of the season and you could smell the onions for half a mile:sick. I’m just glad it wasn’t my turn! I didn’t get much done today. We had to take the foster kittens to an adoption event in a town about 60 miles south. All three kittens got adopted though!

Back
Top Bottom