What did you do in the garden today?

I wasnt feeling great again, so only got one thing planted. Some of my seeds in the trays are sprouting though! Looks like thyme, squash, and some flowers.
This reminds me, I have more sproutinf activity going on here. The jalapeños and banana peppers are coming up well. At least one bell pepper is up so far. I don't think any of the habaneros came up yet though. I'll give them another few days or so. Same thing happened with the tomatoes, some popped up quickly, but the San Marzanos held out for several more days then all the rest. Now they made a full stand except one cell that is a dud. I planted two extra cells to be safe though. First real leaves on several tomatoes and about all the kale. Brussels sprouts are all up and quicking forming their first real leaves too already.

Yesterday we checked on the garlic...
garlic snow 6 March 2021.jpg

...and started seed priming our three hottest peppers...
paper lantern pepper into solution 6 march 2021.jpg

@NewBoots sorry about the neighbor, sound like you were very good to him. ❤️ That's how I want to go, sitting in my chair on my deck. My happy place.

@Acre4Me thanks for the idea, I don't have tomato seeds this year (I ordered some plants) but I think I'll save some seed next year & move them into bigger pots so they have a good head start for the garden. Waiting for tomatoes kills me, even just waiting to get them planted kills me - this may help! :lau

I'm so confused on what day it is, DH is working today. Even the dog came in to wake me up this am because DH went off to work. Dog thought I was going to be late for work! He's a good boy.

I'm on steroids at the moment so the house is clean, breakfast for DH for the week is in the oven, Dinner is in the crockpot, the chickens are fed & watered. I know they aren't good for you, but I sure do enjoy the energy! I'm getting ready to paint grippy stuff on the bath tub & do some laundry & I HAVE TO find the stupid hoops!

Have a great day all.

Good morning all. Another frosty morning, 12F and a bit breezy first thing. It is warming up and supposed to get up to high 30's today. The ice cap is too thick in my garden areas for anything to peek through yet. Surprised you are just now feeding the wild birds @BReeder! I only feel comfortable to load the bird feeders up between December and February while the bears are hibernating. With the warm air that's coming in this week I'll have to empty my feeders so as not to attract the bears. They are especially hungry when they wake up. As for the cabinets @Sueby, I'm painting them myself. I looked up the best type of paint to use and was actually able to speak to the Behr paint rep at HD. The paints have evolved since I painted my fireplace mantel back in 2018. I finally settled on the correct type that wasn't super glossy and will not have your cabinet doors sticking to the cabinet. I'm almost finished painting the small hallway. There was just enough paint to cover the upper wall to match the color in the kitchen. I put one coat of ceiling paint on and DD generously took care of the second coat. I still have to paint the wainscoting and figure out whether to paint the baseboard heat covers, but it is looking so much better. DD has convinced me it's ok to take a day off and have some fun. We're going antiquing today. I've been looking for a proper sideboard with enough storage for my tablecloths and dish towels. I really prefer the old fashioned style with deep drawers and simple cupboard space. So I'm hoping I get lucky today.

Ohhh, @Wee Farmer Sarah that sounds like fun! I have COVID fatigue. I'm very sick of it. On top of it I have early spring fever. If I lived a little closer I'd beg you to let me come with you. :gig I would love before & after pics of the cabinets! I painted the cabinets in my old house (boy it feels good to say my old house) & like you said the paint wasn't great back then, I wouldn't be happy with that job now. I can't wait to hear how yours comes out. What color are you going with?

Bathtub sticky paint is on, should be dry in 5 hours.

My bird feeder emptied 2 days ago, I will not fill it again. Bears will be out shortly, if they aren't already. I resorted to parking my car in front of the coop door last year because the bears were so bad around here & I have no good way to do electric.

Last edited:
@BReeder! I only feel comfortable to load the bird feeders up between December and February while the bears are hibernating. With the warm air that's coming in this week I'll have to empty my feeders so as not to attract the bears. They are especially hungry when they wake up.
No bears around here really. Opossums are my predator issue lately. Foxes have been spotted before. The biggest issue for the bird feeder though will be squirrels. Those b@$+erds eat everything! Dropped feed will likely support the rabbit population too, which I'm also getting sick off because they find ways into the garden and much on things. They decimated lettuce and sweet potatoes last year.

@BReeder! I resorted to feeding safflower seeds & thistle because the squirrels & crows don't bother with them. It's so much more peaceful at the feeder. The chippies do like the safflower but a baffle keeps them out (but not the squirrels, they're resourceful little critters).
There's a specialty bird feeding store nearby that I haven't checked out yet. They'll probably have such a specific mix. At the feed and hardware stores it's just standard mixes. I always try to get something economical, but with more than just cracked corn and sunflower seeds in it.

Back
Top Bottom