What did you do in the garden today?

The barn smell, erm, magical today. I did have to throw away my cell phone case, and I can still smell it on my left hand, but only if I get it right up to my face. All told I moved 1200 pounds of hay 3 times, bale by bale. What an adventure.

DH did the chores this morning, and said wow the barn has a powerful smell. Really? REALLY REALLY?! I had NOT noticed. Geesh, I told him he should have been there at ground zero the moment it happened. Been a LONG while since I've been that close.

Seeds have been in heated cells for a week, so I'll check on them in a big.

Heading for 70 again today, but with winds howling all day over 40mph. Fires were popping up everywhere yesterday.

I hope everyone has a great day.

More marigolds seeds planted.

looked through my pepper seeds and realized I’m out of one kind. I planted a few in cells, but wanted to plant more. Burpee does not sell this variety anymore. So, I went looking for a similar seed on their site. Everything was out of stock that I looked at! Wow!

Sunny but cold and moderately windy. Still loving the sunshine!

Update on the pop-up green house. And it's NOT good.
I purchased at the end of the 2020 season, and just put it together. It went up really easily. It actually measures 7 feet x10 feet. I could tell when I put it up the the anchors included were neither long enough or strong enough, and the cord system included was slick and too thin and frail. I purchased long industrial anchors and replaced their cord with paracord and used taught line knots to secure the anchor points to their tie down points. I also made a 2x6 frame to sit on the apron around the base to keep the wind from getting under the apron and lifting the house from the inside. One week later, today, I go out to feed the livestock and our winds are gusting to 37mph. EVERY since tie point on the HOUSE is ripped open and the cover is flapping loose in the breeze like a giant tent. My wood base, my anchors and MY ties are firmly in place, but the seams and greenhouse plastic have torn. $120 DOWN THE DRAIN. I'm just glad I had nothing in it yet.
37 mph winds are common everywhere and a darn right NORMAL day here

Well, had to mive the greenhouse again, but Im pretty sure its the final time, for now 🤣🤣. Whrn I went out today the bucket was ice. Now it’s 85° in here. The girls have taken over the garden and turned it into a dust bath 🥰🥰

Attachments

• 42CFCAC6-A349-4A91-A1EF-D2557A973C05.jpeg
    42CFCAC6-A349-4A91-A1EF-D2557A973C05.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Good morning gardeners. It’s nice and warm here but falling back to 70 by mid week. We’ve been having quite a bit of wind, one day the gusts were enough at dusk to blow the duck weed bins off the picnic table so no more duck weed. That’s an irritation but whatever. I pulled the broccoli that bolted and split it between the ducks and bunnies, they LOVED it! The babies are growing and are mostly white with just a bit of down showing in spots. They’ve integrated with the older girls and they’re one flock now. Sometimes they’ll split themselves between the pools and sometimes they’re all together. I put in two basil plants and a jalapeño as the seeeds I planted for the jalapeño didn’t sprout. There are lots of carrots though and I need to thin them out. The dill is ready to pull as well so I’m going to hang it from a hook to dry inside. Some will go to the buns and ducks also. The parsley is continuously regrowing though so maybe it’ll make it a while longer. I’m pretty sure there’s an Armenian cuke sprout out there also. Anyway, here’s a pic of the ducks. I need to go harvest broccoli and cook it for my lunch tomorrow. Have a great day all
A65F8F06-4E8A-454F-8DE2-F91DBB14F5B2.jpeg
A6CE675D-1904-4DEC-BFA5-8734901F4A7B.jpeg

Ohhh, @Wee Farmer Sarah that sounds like fun! I have COVID fatigue. I'm very sick of it. On top of it I have early spring fever. If I lived a little closer I'd beg you to let me come with you. :gig I would love before & after pics of the cabinets! I painted the cabinets in my old house (boy it feels good to say my old house) & like you said the paint wasn't great back then, I wouldn't be happy with that job now. I can't wait to hear how yours comes out. What color are you going with?

Bathtub sticky paint is on, should be dry in 5 hours.

My bird feeder emptied 2 days ago, I will not fill it again. Bears will be out shortly, if they aren't already. I resorted to parking my car in front of the coop door last year because the bears were so bad around here & I have no good way to do electric.
I’m painting the cabinets white. There’s no hardware on the cabinets right now, but I’m looking forward to installing some when they are all painted. I picked up two tables at the consignment store a few towns away. They match my birds on branches items I’ve picked up online. I also picked up two pairs of salt and pepper shakers for my collection. I looked at a lot of sideboards but the only “contenders” were mid 20th century early American style and I’m not a fan of the hardware on them. I'll keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom