What did you do in the garden today?

Is it normal to get more than one shoot from a single clove? I swear some of them have three..
Yup. Mine have 3-4. They're a hardneck variety.
I'm really hoping the temps stay on the cool side for now to slow the blooming on the peach tree and lilac shrubs
Oh, me too!! Mid 30s for a few nights now, so I hope that keeps everything "asleep" a bit longer.

NO earlier than May 25th here. They don't do anything until they get warm anyway, and the risk of hail and wind damage, (and cold shock is still there.) June 1st is my safe date.
Well, hoping hail is not an issue - it rarely is in May here. My yard is also fairly well protected form the wind. I'm definitely not waiting past Mother's Day (May 9th). Some of the plants are getting as tall as the shelf they are on. I am moving them to the sunroom, but I risk low light there because it faces north with the house on the south side of it so it gets limited morning and evening sun.
I need a greenhouse! No room though.

My friends in the north, when do you transplant your tomatoes? I'm in zone 5B in IL near Chicago. I'm thinking May 1st, but would love to do so sooner if possible. Is no frost good enough? Or do they really need temps consistently above 60F? And does that mean nighttime temps above 60F?
I’m south of you in 7b and I don’t plant out until May first. They can be planted out if temps stay above 50F at night but they won’t grow and may become stunted if it stays that cold for long. Temps below 50 will definitely stunt them though in my experience. I also don’t recommend planting them out until it stays above 60F if you have had any disease problems in the past.

Tomatoes I try to get in after the first full moon in May, but I have a hard time waiting that long! I'm in zone 6.

Got some new lettuce planted & watered the onions. Bout it.

Just syringe fed my first chicken. Well not food, water & antibiotics. Not sure why I'm trying so hard, she doesn't lay anymore! I'm a softie.

Back
Top Bottom