What did you do in the garden today?

haha.... I'm wondering if you have some pesky poltergeist or other paranormal creature in your house? I can't say I've ever found a wallet on the shampoo shelf. :gig

I DID, however, start retracing my steps in the first few days it was missing. In those few days, I still kept thinking it would turn up so I wasn't freaking out about it. "Freaking out" still seems a little harsh term to use, but I definitely don't WANT to have to replace all those packets. :( When it didn't turn up, I started a more thorough and invasive search. Doing what you suggested....opening drawers, closets, cars, trunks, everything. double and triple checking areas I've already looked. Still no seeds.
Did you bury the package?

Thanks, was wondering. Have had volunteers come up in the garden, but never let them mature.. The stuff I get from the nursery always gets gangly.. Dig a trench and bury them up to the first leaf. Though I don't think they do that well.

Welcome to the gardeners thread

haha.... I'm wondering if you have some pesky poltergeist or other paranormal creature in your house? I can't say I've ever found a wallet on the shampoo shelf. :gig

I DID, however, start retracing my steps in the first few days it was missing. In those few days, I still kept thinking it would turn up so I wasn't freaking out about it. "Freaking out" still seems a little harsh term to use, but I definitely don't WANT to have to replace all those packets. :( When it didn't turn up, I started a more thorough and invasive search. Doing what you suggested....opening drawers, closets, cars, trunks, everything. double and triple checking areas I've already looked. Still no seeds.
I think my "poltergeists" were a combo of toddlers and sleep-deprived adults...we misplaced a LOT of wallets/keys during the baby/toddler phase of parenting

OMG I have a screw loose, (or even several) I had a long chain of quotes from several folks and I messed them all up. Oh well, not going back now. Anyway, @Wee Farmer Sarah, and @WthrLady, both those weeders look pretty cool and at this age, the less hard bending over I can do, the better.

It was 31 here again last night so it'll be weeks before I'll risk putting out any of my baby tomatoes. Already had several folks asking about tomato plants this year so once they can go out I'll have plenty takers for the extras. I even had one neighbor ask if I was planting sugar snap peas this year, she said you can't buy them in the store anywhere near as nice and crisp and she's right. I was hoping to make tomato cages so I bought some cement mesh but it looks so scary (rusty and scratchy) that I think I'll see if I can get some regular cattle panels to cut in half and bungie to the rack on the suv.

Cold as it is at night, it's lovely and warm (in the 60s) today and yesterday so I transplanted more of the cold hardy greens and mixed up and used more of my stinky compost tea. I've dug up a few of the borage that self seeded so I can plant some in every bed as well as give them away with the tomato seedlings. The grow out bunnies are living the high life with all the sweet grass, clover, and alfalfa I've been cutting with my murderously sharp hand grass sickle. It's so scary sharp I got a set of cut resistant gloves to wear when I use it.

I took the tiller to the small engine repair finally. They claim its a dirty carb. I put a brand new carb on last year though. There's rust in the gas tank though. That's going to just continually clog the carb. They said about 3 days and I should have it back in working condition.

I then picked up one of those weeders with the spring loaded push to release the weeds. I used it to clear a bunch of weeds in the garden. I need to take it out front to attack the dandelions next. I'll find the time one of these days. I also take two raised beds, digging up any small clover and other weeds that are starting while breaking up and leveling the soil in the process.

While I weeded and raked, DW planned two types of lettuce seeds and carrots seeds. I'm happy and relieved that she did that because I hate dealing with those tiny seeds. She was trying to get the parsnips and radishes planted too, but it got a little cool and we got tired so we came inside to figure out dinner. The kids are still going full throttle though, which is further exhausting us so it looks like delivery or takeout.

Thanks, was wondering. Have had volunteers come up in the garden, but never let them mature.. The stuff I get from the nursery always gets gangly.. Dig a trench and bury them up to the first leaf. Though I don't think they do that well.
I had a whole 1000 sq foot mulch bed come up with volunteers that beat out anything growing in the garden. LOL. It was from tomatoes fed to the hens over the winter and then scooped and pooped and cleaned out of the chicken run and dumped in this compost mulch area in the yard.
============
Spent the day working through a small list while dealing with my *$^& torn thumb, CMS arthritis. Pain is wearing on the soul as well as the body. OH and I THINK I figured out part of my anxiety attacks issues. My allergy med contains an NSAID, which I cannot have because it causes me high stress and anxiety issues. ::Rolleye:: I swear. It didn't even dawn on me.
The animals got fed and watered.
I put two more vents in the greenhouse, it needs at least TWO more for cross ventilation. I am junking the digital camera it is so far off on either end. When the analog thermometers said 100, it was saying 92.
I put on a pot of ham and bean soup, and after simmering 3 hours the beans are STILL not tender. I'll give it another two...just ODD.
Planted a flat of zinnias and put them in the starter shed, as well as a flat free tray of Marriage Marzanios, a new variety. Then I'll transplant them after germination.
Rearranged some supplies in the shed and put up two more lights on that shelf and that gave me room for 3 more flats in the shed. I am now FULL FULL FULL. To make the sale on the 9th of May, I have GOT to get this stuff shooting up in the greenhouse. LOL.

Rain coming tomorrow night and into Friday and Saturday. I'll fertilize the orchard again tomorrow.
Heading to 31 again tonight.

Cleaned the coop and used the straw to start a new compost pile this morning. I got another 36 plants potted up and weeded about half the main garden. One of the new foster kittens seems to have a foot infection so I spent the morning dealing with that. I got maybe a dozen more poles cut for stakes. I have most of the garden staked out now I’ve just got to finish figuring out how many rows of cowpeas I need. I also picked the first strawberry today!
5C6C9641-57A3-4117-9F26-6E4A366FDE1E.jpeg
6C0BC594-CDA1-4F4B-BADA-29780971D162.jpeg
336E1875-7445-4B42-A6D9-E0295133910B.jpeg
616EA7A1-0713-4899-937F-18B432ED1AF7.jpeg
AEE770A0-9D6B-4949-B378-0DCB429378EA.jpeg
947B20C6-B465-4148-9251-07C1F3065597.jpeg
79106063-E21A-4271-B643-C9C86104DAB1.jpeg
BC9A385E-D567-4D83-B992-DF120E71A429.jpeg
F851E8D5-FA44-48BF-A0CF-09B4EDE4F1C1.jpeg
7FAA0036-B848-404D-B8BA-BE9F11646FC3.jpeg

Attachments

• C89C2D36-48F6-4A46-809A-9E35A15B3034.jpeg
    C89C2D36-48F6-4A46-809A-9E35A15B3034.jpeg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Still abit too cold to get my starts out even in the green houses. But they are growin like crazy. Growing without lights this year and taking plants in and out everyday. They are getting real light! It’s a bit labor intensive but the plants are thriving and I’m told they are hardier this way, we’ll see. Less electricity useage is great. I posted about my egg shell garden ideas in another garden post on this site, so check it out. Here’s a couple pics from that post.

Attachments

• 5AAB0912-3681-4FB4-9710-945AE6A4D30A.jpeg
    5AAB0912-3681-4FB4-9710-945AE6A4D30A.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DEFF1C99-8307-4FFC-B343-630595AD4D3F.jpeg
    DEFF1C99-8307-4FFC-B343-630595AD4D3F.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 81E90DC6-2698-4A38-9AF9-97712D48098D.jpeg
    81E90DC6-2698-4A38-9AF9-97712D48098D.jpeg
    781.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom