What did you do in the garden today?

First iris bloomed today!!! Also got three miniature roses planted...never had roses before, so hopefully I won't kill them!!

Tomorrow, I plan to plant a crinum lily (impulse purchase) and put some feetilizer on the acid-loving plants. 20210415_123824.jpg

I have squirrels in droves, but no fox squirrels that I know of.... I'm pretty certain this critter was digging in the middle of the night so my guess is an armadillo. Do squirrels come out at night? I've never seen one after dark....
Fox squirrels are, to be fair, an uncommon sight even when I was younger. But no, they don't come out past dusk that I know of.

War has been declared on the weeds! I weeded the potato patch and went back over the everything I weeded yesterday with the rake. Then I mulched around the potato plants with pine-straw. I cut more stakes, hung up the bird feeder and watered the trees, grapevine, and radishes. Iā€™m really impressed with how easy potatoes seem to grow! Iā€™m used to having trouble with tomatoes peppers and root crops so I though potatoes would be a disaster.View attachment 2618597View attachment 2618598View attachment 2618600View attachment 2618601View attachment 2618603View attachment 2618604View attachment 2618606
Ugh, I can relate to weeds. Theyā€™ve terrible this year!! Everything looks great though!

:frow
Finally getting to play in the garden here. Rototilling done few days ago planted half lb peas they starting to pop. Kale and collards also so far.
Going to snow some here tomorrow lol.
Ordered some salsify seeds never have grew or tasted them anyone here ever tried them?
I think @jerryse mentioned something about it last year?

You know to hill the potatoes right? Also check if the variety you planted is determinate or indeterminate. Determinate you can hill once or heavily mulch and you are all set. Indeterminate you want to hill regularly.
Yep! These are determinate indeterminates donā€™t have enough time to mature here.

Back
Top Bottom