What did you do in the garden today?

We made a trip to the grocery store after I finished working today. They had potted plants outside that looked good and were 2/$5. I picked up thyme since is not coming well at all. I also grabbed oregano since I didn't buy any seeds too plant. Then I grabbed chiltepin and Trinidad scorpion pepper plants to add some unique variety to the pepper bed.

After I got home, I stuck those new plants under the grow lights with the other starts. Then I decided to go outside and transplant some of our marigolds. The kids and I got a dozen of them planted in the garden - that's a challenge with an 18 month old involved. We got two at the end of each potato bed and two at the ends of three of the raised beds. They're going to look great once they fill out a bit and bloom.

I've seen it with "leaf mold," which I think is code for leaves half way to being done composting? Now I want to try it. I DO have a pile of half-composted leaves...and sprouted potatoes on the counter...🤔🤔

Do you think a large reusable shopping bag could work as a stand-in for a grow bag? I have banned myself from garden centers for at least a week, so I'd need to improvise.
I found some yard bags at the dollar store. They measure a bit larger than a half barrel. I’m also going to use feed bags. I guess you could try just about anything

So how much is too much?

Doesn't look like much, but these are 33 gal bags - and they are HEAVY! I got 5 bags today, and I can go back tomorrow to get some more composted goat poop!
fullsizeoutput_60e5.jpeg

Anyone else shocked by the crap they are calling garden soil these days. Accidentally picked up a bag of it instead of potting soil and I think it’s 80% shredded bark. It looks like the stuff we used to buy as mulch!
It works well for my environment. We have terrible souls and it seems to help quite a bit in the garden. Don’t care for it in pots though.

So how much is too much?

Doesn't look like much, but these are 33 gal bags - and they are HEAVY! I got 5 bags today, and I can go back tomorrow to get some more composted goat poop!
View attachment 2620331
Take all you can store. Do you have an area to pile some up? It will turn into great compost. If you have compost bins fill them up. To off all your needs. Go nuts!

I’ve done the dirt dump for the past three years. Not going there again. I ordered 3 yards, they brought me 4. It took me forever stashing the dirt to clear my driveway. The expanding “garden soil” or potting mix I bought turned out to be coconut coir. Which is fine with me. I mixed it with bagged garden soil for the potatoes. I won’t buy Canadian peat moss because it is not sustainable. If you care for the land it will take care of you. Excuse me, I was involved in the environmental movement before the EPA was established.
Coco coir is fine as a product, but I wouldn’t say it’s more sustainable or environmentally friendly than peat moss. It’s primarily produced in other countries and the methods used to deliver it aren’t sustainable or environmentally friendly at all. I’m not arguing, just saying there are other factors other than what the product does that hqve an impact.

Good afternoon gardeners. I’m headed out to dump the kiddie and clean duck water buckets. Nothing in the garden for me today, but did look around on Craigslist and found some Black Runner/Blue Swedish drakes for sale. I’m waiting to hear whether there are available still. I understand that having a drake is good for the girls so might as well. I think there’s room for one more in the pool. Have a great night all.

Don't mind the trash, but it's that time of year lol didn't get too much done today, but was able to set up some 30 gallon grow bags where I dug out daylilies in my mint bed. I'll finish wrapping up the trellis' tomorrow and plant maybe next week.

View attachment 2620465
Looks nice! It’s definitely that time of year. What are you putting in the grow bags?

Back
Top Bottom