What did you do in the garden today?

Well to be honest. Trees, shrubs, and tall grasses don't belong in a parking lot. They block the view. Fire the landscape designer.
We need the trees to help reduce the heat island and they are nice to park under if you get a chance when it’s blazing hot. The shrubs are small enough not to cause a problem with view in the lot itself, but are larger out near the sidewalk and street.

We need the trees to help reduce the heat island and they are nice to park under if you get a chance when it’s blazing hot. The shrubs are small enough not to cause a problem with view in the lot itself, but are larger out near the sidewalk and street.
But they plant the wrong things all the time and unless you're in a SUV/truck you can't see over some of the stuff IN the lot, like turning from row to row. It's really bad here where they fill road medians and you can't see to turn around the damn plants.

I worked on the trellises some today. This is not a job for a short person lol! The trellis is about 8 feet tall but I could barely reach to tie it together standing on a 5 gallon bucket! I’m hauling the tall step ladder up there tomorrow to finish.
4A74722D-2E32-4454-84F3-3BBB102379FB.jpeg

But they plant the wrong things all the time and unless you're in a SUV/truck you can't see over some of the stuff IN the lot, like turning from row to row. It's really bad here where they fill road medians and you can't see to turn around the damn plants.
Yes we do have those issues in some places here as well. If it’s not shrubs then it’s vehicles parked on the road and you really have to inch out there and hope you don’t get creamed.

Got the dough made.
Got 4 more vents on the greenhouse near the bottom on the long sides. That's SIX more vents than it came with and today at 55 degrees outside and a breeze, doors and vents open, 104 degrees.
Shade cloth is next.I'll put it up Thursday before the plants go in and get in my way.
Had SO much more to do today, but
after spending an hour over the burn barrel, I decided to have an anxiety attack after my shower. UGH. Dang things. SO I kept myself busy in the house doing little things, and managed a little sewing. Smoke overload?Allergy overload?Hormones? Racing motorcycles on the road? No idea. They suck the big one. I'm envious of people that don't have them.
the 100% whole wheat pizza dough ROCKED though, so there's that.
Ugh. Motorcycles, helicopters, and cars with bass cracked up on their subwoofer sound systems all bother me a ton. Physically painful. I'm sorry you have to deal with that frequently.

I found out something new to me today. I was digging up an enormous borage to make room for a new gooseberry a neighbor was nice enough to give me for free and I accidentally dug up a shallot I'd planted last winter. It wasn't ready to harvest at all, in fact it looked like about a dozen or so green onions that had been planted far too close together. I figured it was unlikely to survive if I replanted it, so I cleaned and trimmed it like I would regular green onions and ate some with my salad and they're delicious. Like very mild green onions. Not sure if the economics work out but if I need to remove any other shallots early it won't be a total loss.

Today I filled an entire trash bag with ivy I pulled from a roughly 5x5 foot section of the ground between my house and the neighbors. It. Is. Insane. I get a bit angry every time I see english ivy for sale somewhere...

Also went to home depot to meet and trade plants with someone and ended up buying, oh, I don't know...75+ bulbs/roots 🤦‍♀️ 🤣. I should be banned from stores that sell inexpensive plants. I have very little self control. We did actually get most of them planted though!

Oh, and I went on two walks around the neighborhood at the Little's request. I am exhausted. Can someone come over here and tend the chickens for me? 🤣

get a goat and she will take care of ivy!

Not sure if I posted earlier... so sorry if some of this is repeated.

More sunflowers up today.
20210418_095807.jpg

The stunted peppers are showing some promising growth since I haven't watered them.
20210418_095756.jpg

Not much yard work done today. We grilled steak and chicken tacos and had company over. I picked up new chairs for our patio dining set. And that's about it for today.

I got 3 more beds cleared out yesterday & I guess the black plastic did it's thing with the vetch, it was only growing a bit around the edges where it peeked out & found some sun. So, as usual, I just didn't have enough patience & all was good. I still won't plant a cover crop again.

I decided I was going to start hardening off my hot cherry peppers to get them under the cold frame & I forgot about them & burned them a teeny bit. :he I have to set an alarm when I put stuff outside I guess because I can't be trusted.

The bush beans are poking thru the dirt under the cold fame, I think that's pretty good timing. The pole beans are starting to pop up too under their frame & they might be a bit early, they popped super quick & don't have much head room under there. I mulched them all, & the lettuce, with straw. Got a bucket full of wood chips onto the paths & the garden looks nice now.

I also got all the winter feeders/waterers taken down, cleaned & put away.

@Wee Farmer Sarah I have my dill in a giant pot, so big I can't even move it. I have like 12-15 plants in there. Dill is one of those things I can't grow enough of. What I don't use for canning gets washed & thrown in the freezer, I don't even bother drying it. If I have any extra pots after I plant everything I'll throw dill seed in it. :gig

:hugs @WthrLady I hope you have a better day today.

Back
Top Bottom