What did you do in the garden today?

grown potatoes from actual potato seed?

Nope. But I've had a few seed balls occur on some potatoes plants. Here is one seed ball. All the other flowers fell off. Not sure which potato it was though. @Wee Farmer Sarah here's a potato seed ball!
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 5.01.49 PM.png

Ok, from everything I can find, potatoes are tubers and do not produce seed. “Seed potatoes” are actually a potato. The new potato plant develops from the eyes. Plant seeds generally are produced from the pollinated flower of a specific plant. Like daylilies and dahlias that propagate through tubers, so do potatoes.
Sometimes potatoes produce fruit that looks like small green tomatoes. This fruit contains seeds. In theory, those seeds could be planted to grow another potato plant, especially if you have an heirloom variety. Now potatoes are not typically grown from seed and are not often marketed as heirloom even if they are. This doesn't mean it's impossible to grow a potatoes from seeds you collect or buy though. It would be a fun experiment.

Done working.
I moved some more tomatoes to the sunroom to make room under the grow lights for the additional cucumber starts. While moving the tomatoes I noticed they are a bit wobbly and want to lean. There's no wind on them so they are a bit limp. Should I turn the ceiling fan on in the sunroom you think? Or just stake them when I transplant outside on a few weeks?

DW and I planted 10 more each of straight eight and Boston pickling cucumbers as well as 5 each Brussels sprouts and make as back up in case the some of the outside transplants don't make it through the late snow we are supposed to get tomorrow.

Ok, from everything I can find, potatoes are tubers and do not produce seed. “Seed potatoes” are actually a potato. The new potato plant develops from the eyes. Plant seeds generally are produced from the pollinated flower of a specific plant. Like daylilies and dahlias that propagate through tubers, so do potatoes.
As someone else posted, they make small little green fruit. I got three off one of my varieties -- Caribou. I might try sprouting a few seeds, just for fun. Each one is genetically unique, not a clone of the parent. Will it taste good, be bitter, be resistant to blight, succumb to blight? Who knows? :idunno But maybe I should find out...

I read that they should be started like tomato seeds. In other words, two weeks ago... oops.

Back
Top Bottom