What did you do in the garden today?

Today was a shopping day so I just took care of critters and did a little watering before setting out. We got back most of our property tax money from the old place so I picked up a big ol' pile of sushi for a celebratory treat. I also (still shopping for plants? Not me! /shifty eyes) got 4 small Early Girl tomato plants since my seeds still haven't sprouted, but I also figure all 10 pots of seeds will now sprout immediately just to spite me. One of the plants is a determinant so I'm curious how it does. Going to be time to up-pot most of the seedling tomatoes soon, I have a bunch of really cheap 4" pots coming from Amazon that should be here in the next couple of days. The nursery had an Epazote in the herbs, I'd never seen one in a nursery before. The root that @Birdielee was nice enough to send me last fall didn't live, but hopefully this plant will survive.

We went completely nuts and bought a used 12' aluminum boat with the trailer, motors (gas and electric), and everything else we'll need. Not really surprised, everyone here has a boat of some kind so I figure it was just a matter of time. :) Can't wait to take it out on the lakes.

Today was a shopping day so I just took care of critters and did a little watering before setting out. We got back most of our property tax money from the old place so I picked up a big ol' pile of sushi for a celebratory treat. I also (still shopping for plants? Not me! /shifty eyes) got 4 small Early Girl tomato plants since my seeds still haven't sprouted, but I also figure all 10 pots of seeds will now sprout immediately just to spite me. One of the plants is a determinant so I'm curious how it does. Going to be time to up-pot most of the seedling tomatoes soon, I have a bunch of really cheap 4" pots coming from Amazon that should be here in the next couple of days. The nursery had an Epazote in the herbs, I'd never seen one in a nursery before. The root that @Birdielee was nice enough to send me last fall didn't live, but hopefully this plant will survive.

We went completely nuts and bought a used 12' aluminum boat with the trailer, motors (gas and electric), and everything else we'll need. Not really surprised, everyone here has a boat of some kind so I figure it was just a matter of time. :) Can't wait to take it out on the lakes.
I want a boat. Just something big enough to take the family out fishing on. Hopefully one of these days I will get one. Plenty of lakes and rivers around to drop it in. There's a free public ramp just 10 minutes away on a major river full of bass and other fish. I got a catfish last year fishing next to the ramp that was at least 2'. I can only imagine what I could get from a boat.

Cucumber, sunflowers, watermelon zucchini and yellow squash
Yesterday:
20210418_095807.jpg

Today:
20210419_200739.jpg

Peppers - the stunted ones making progress after withholding water
April 15th:
20210415_122233.jpg

Today:
20210419_200747.jpg

When we bought our boat, we lived 15 minutes from 3 different lakes. One lake was actually Wissota Lake - made "famous" by a reference in the movie Titanic. That was the big lake that we would go tubing on - Musky, Panfish, Bass, Bass, Northern Pike, and Walleye. One was close to the city so our friends would join us on that one - pan fish mostly from that one. And the third one was great for Bass and Walleye.
Now we live about 6 miles from the Bay of Green Bay, so that is mostly where we go.

Planted some Alpine strawberry seeds I found. 3 of the 24 spinach seeds have germinates and all 3 of the stevia plants are up.

Bailed on the ranch at lunchtime and went into the city.
I delivered all my old military formal gowns to a lady that rents them out to kids for prom. They just have to bring them all back dry cleaned. A worthy cause.

I splurged on another robot vacuum for the other level of the house.

I had to pick up three new remotes for our garage doors, they all kind of died about the same time. They were all discontinued...of course. UPSIDE is the new remotes for the doors all have three buttons, so each car can control all three doors. No more multiple clickers in the cars. So yay!

Picked up some odds and ends and prescription refills. Thumb is driving me so bonkers I can't hardly stand it. Tylenol now on board, for all the good it will do.New brace ordered.

MUST plant my ornamental corn in peat pots tomorrow. MUST. I will also check to see if anything needs/or is ready for a larger home transplant party.

Morning all.

I definitely need someone to plant a potato seed ball as an experiment! I had no clue.

Supposed to be nice out again today. I could get so much done if I didn't have to work every day. I did manage to get to the garden store & grab 3 rhubarb plants last night - they're all planted & mulched. I'll say it again - the garden is done, no more expanding till I retire. (yea right) :lau

IMG_20210419_171423191.jpg

Always fun digging holes around here. We like to say the state flower here in CT is a rock. :gig
IMG_20210419_171334438.jpg

I think next year I'll just buy starts, I'm over doing seeds. I don't want to take care of them anymore, they need to move out. Thank goodness I never had any kids. :wee I did unplug the seed mat & the squash & cukes have 2 days of hardening off. Stupid peppers are taking forever & are def damaged because I forgot about them outside. Over it all!

@BReeder!
Those augers are great. I couldn't find mine last year, and almost went into a panic.
I use them for super deep tomato holes. LOL.

OH and for those shopping for one, make sure you get one with at least one flat edge at the top. This keeps it from spinning in the drill if you hit something that resists, like a stone, root, dense clay, or the earthworm rebel army.

=======
Still cloudy, dark, and chilly here. So hauling manure and old straw to the compost hill is off the books today. I have an etsy order to ship, the market to visit, and the hardware store to get to.

Our hard freezes Monday and Tuesday night are coming with the bonus of snowfall. Not a lot, just enough to make you say UGH. AND it's better than the 8 inches we managed this time last Spring. So there is that.

I have three more apple trees to replace the dead ones from Stark. And I still need to start up the Mother's Day pots for sale. So lots to do.

Have a great day everyone.
Kissing my fruit blossoms goodbye for the very last time.. next three nights mid-twenties.. will apply lip balm and a stepladder as the trees are blooming as never before..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom