What did you do in the garden today?

I'm hoping for a little bit of sunshine here. Anything to make me get out and do something.

Really feeling bad for the fruit farmers. I'm afraid to go look at my cherry and apple trees.
Enjoy them while you have them.. Last season was worse, not even an English Walnut nor Raspberry, most dead.. a handful of strawberry. Asparagus rotted from frost. Rhubarb failed and went to seed.. One never showed this season, one is weak.. Mini Ice Age a coming.. Build a green house.. possibly with supplemental heat.. Indoor gardening if you can do.. I can't apparently, have tried over and over. Have considered Aquaculture and soilless garden.. may be the charm. :eek:
Postscript: Last Little Ice Age was 400 yarn ago.. Vikings are no more.. Great and Honorable men.. and women. 4000 years ago was an Ice Age.. "History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes." Samuel Clemens. Invest in Long Johns.. Markus Twain:cool:

Last edited:
The trees and shrubs around here are forming blossom buds, but not even close to blooming yet, hopefully they will withstand the freezing temps for the next 3 nights.

I need to go out with the ATV and trailer and pick up all the asparagus fronds from last year. By removing them from the area completely, it lessens the number of asparagus pickers who park and walk the ditch outside the dog fence and make the dogs go crazy.

Good morning all. I’m with you @Sueby, someone should definitely plant that potato seed ball and see what they get. Shopping day today. Temps should hit 70F this afternoon. Rain likely tomorrow with temps dropping to 30F. I’m hoping that’s the last of it. The peach tree has a few blossoms starting to open, the purple azalea is blooming and the lilac is ready to burst. Fingers crossed the dip below freezing isn’t longer than an hour or two. I finished prepping the large garden bed in the backyard yesterday. Not much else to do until this little cold snap passes. I do need to pick up some more garden soil to refresh the containers. I’m planting 4 okra plants in pots in the front yard. And hopefully 3 or 4 pots of hot peppers. The hot peppers do much better in the front yard. Living on the doorstep of the Granite State isn’t devoid of rocks here @Sueby. Digging deeper than 12 inches will yield some nice landscape size boulders. Lol! I spotted some rather nice looking rocks the guys dug out from around my basement window when they were repairing the leak. I definitely have plans for them, if I can lift them.

Sounds like this may be devistating for a lot of farmers. How awful. We're supposed to get a frost but it's still early here so hopefully it's no big deal.

@Wee Farmer Sarah I hear that! These are the rocks DH dug from the yard when we moved in & put the shop in. The yard was un-mowable. He has heavy equipment & still had trouble getting them all. Some he just buried too. We offroad so we piled them up to test & tune the rigs. 😂 Neighbors love us. 😜

IMG_20210420_095328245.jpg

Last edited:
Snowing here . Cold will probably kill the fruit blossoms here . Plum , Peach and pear in bloom here . Apple ready to break bud .
Our pear trees are done. Blossoms are burned and dropping from two nights ago. The early apple trees that were on their way to opening are tattered from last nights freeze as well. Well go under again tonight for more than two hours and again tomorrow night. So I think no apples from the early guys and maybe only half the pears. Doubt the local peaches will be there this year either. That's always an iffy crop here.

At 830 the outside temp was 31 the greenhouse was 85, so vents open. I can't wait to get stuff out there.

Setting up these robot vacuums is a PIA.

Morning all.

I definitely need someone to plant a potato seed ball as an experiment! I had no clue.

Supposed to be nice out again today. I could get so much done if I didn't have to work every day. I did manage to get to the garden store & grab 3 rhubarb plants last night - they're all planted & mulched. I'll say it again - the garden is done, no more expanding till I retire. (yea right) :lau

View attachment 2626172

Always fun digging holes around here. We like to say the state flower here in CT is a rock. :gig
View attachment 2626173

I think next year I'll just buy starts, I'm over doing seeds. I don't want to take care of them anymore, they need to move out. Thank goodness I never had any kids. :wee I did unplug the seed mat & the squash & cukes have 2 days of hardening off. Stupid peppers are taking forever & are def damaged because I forgot about them outside. Over it all!
I'm jealous of the size of the rhubarb you get from a nursery. It's not common at nurseries here that I've seen. I planted some bare root (Victoria I believe) and have some more bare root rhubarb (Gladkin's) in shipping to me right now. Bare root can be finicky and don't always take for me. Pure starts with leaves and stalks already forming would be preferred for sure.

Back
Top Bottom