What did you do in the garden today?

Check this out - was googling Victoria rhubarb & I always end up down the rabbit hole...
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 6.57.19 AM.png

29 degrees up at the house, so I'm betting it's 25 down the hill in the garden.

I'm most worried about the cherry tree. I think the strawberries will be ok. The blueberries are just tight little buds, so I didn't cover them. The asparagus isn't up yet. The garlic and onions... well, we'll just have to see how they did.

We got about 4” of snow last night! It is 30F right now (not sure what the low was last night). Tonight another cold night. I did not cover anything as there are only a few buds on the strawberries. However, the Asian pear was in full bloom a week ago, guess that we won’t get fruit, but it hasn’t been in the ground even a year yet, so would have pinched of nearly all developing fruit anyway to focus growth on the roots.

the seedlings can’t go outside today -too cold, but tomorrow will be warmer...maybe warm enough for them to go outside.

It’s supposed to get down too 33 tonight which means we will probably get a freeze here. My goal is to get the bean trellis finished, weed the garden, and get the plants covered from the freeze. Honestly I’ll be impressed if I get the plants covered, I’ve been up 2 nights now with the chicks we’re over 20 chicks now and I’ve lost the ability to count. I’ve gone to look in incubator so much the last few days I’ve actually given myself a blister from where I lean on the desk to look in :gig

It’s supposed to get down too 33 tonight which means we will probably get a freeze here. My goal is to get the bean trellis finished, weed the garden, and get the plants covered from the freeze. Honestly I’ll be impressed if I get the plants covered, I’ve been up 2 nights now with the chicks we’re over 20 chicks now and I’ve lost the ability to count. I’ve gone to look in incubator so much the last few days I’ve actually given myself a blister from where I lean on the desk to look in :gig
But it’s so hard not to look!!

But it’s so hard not to look!!
I know! Especially because I had one I was forced to help last night.
It’s in the 50s here but the wind is absolutely freezing. I had grabbed a light jacket and when I opened the door to go outside and felt the wind I just slammed the door shut said “Nope” and went to go find a different coat. :gig

Good morning gardeners. Weather here is still mild. It was 45F when I got up at 6 am. Sunny and getting into low 60's then afternoon thunderstorms. The temps are forecasted to drop to 32F for 2 or 3 hours early tomorrow morning. I'll cover the asparagus after it gets rained on a bit. I think I will also cover the curly kale. Good news, the peach tree is just barely 1/3 blooming with tight buds holding on. I am really happy to see flower buds developing on my Empire apple tree. The Cortland tree is just now budding so hopefully there will be apple blossoms in there this year. Only two nights at or below 32F then the temps are warming back up. Next week is still my target week for planting outdoors. I may plant the corn today if the rain can hold off until after 3 pm, but tomorrow is another day.

Back
Top Bottom