What did you do in the garden today?

Good evening gardeners. I watered early this morning and this afternoon I watched the ducks enjoy their pool. I like having a pool out near the lemon tree and it seems to be their preferred hang out. I’ve seen Jasper mate with the boss lady and he’s after a couple of other girls. They were all running from him tonight after I put them to bed. He cracks me up. This weekend I need to weed, it’s terrible!

I'd be on the floor, curled up in a fetal position by then. Or snapping at everything and everybody. But nope, my blood sugar is fine, according to every test I've ever had.
There is such a thing as hangry and regardless of what tests and drs say you feel it so I understand. I have a friend who is the same way. If she doesn’t eat three squares and a couple snax she’s a real bleep first, then shaking and feels like she’s going to faint. How can a person test fine with those issues?

I have high hopes for the Mara des Bois I planted, berries are just starting to turn but I have already cut off runners on those too.
I have high hopes for my Mara berries too. My dog's name is Mara, and we live in the woods. Mara des Bois = Mara of the woods.

They are day neutral, meaning they bloom and fruit all season long. (Ever bearing types usually set fruit in the spring, then again in late summer.) They do have a bigger bunch first thing in the spring, if the #$%@! frost doesn't get them...

I saw that you posted this the other day and I've been meaning to reply to it. I ordered these pineberries about 3 years ago. However I made the mistake of planting them in rather small containers (8" pots). Most died but I had 2 that have held on over the past 3 years with just a few pitiful leaves. Last fall I transplanted them into the strawberry tower. Two SMALL pitiful plants, mind you, with no more than 5 leaves between them.

View attachment 2630755

That front tire is those two plants now... They have completely taken over the entire tire and are now sending runners over the side. Leaves are bushy and big, approximately 10 - 12 inches tall. HOWEVER it has produced less than a handful of flowers, none of which have created a berry bigger than my pinky nail. Disappointing but if you read the comments section on the sites that sell them you will see my experience seems to be the norm. Many people end up tearing them out and planting something else. I haven't decided if I want to use it as a trap crop, give it another year, or pull them.... I planted two Ozark Beauty on one side of that tire because I didn't realize how much those two pitiful plants were going to go overboard. The Ozark Beauty are completely engulfed and likely crowded out.... I might pull some plants just to save the Ozark Beauty which ARE producing nice berries...

I have pineberries.. lots of runners, no berries. I've eaten one in two years. I'll be ripping out the last of them shortly. I have high hopes for the Mara des Bois I planted, berries are just starting to turn but I have already cut off runners on those too.
I knew they were probably too cool looking to be true! Good info, I won't be trying them. I had thought maybe in a few years when the bed needs to be replaced I'd throw a couple in but now I won't waste my time.

Good evening gardeners. I watered early this morning and this afternoon I watched the ducks enjoy their pool. I like having a pool out near the lemon tree and it seems to be their preferred hang out. I’ve seen Jasper mate with the boss lady and he’s after a couple of other girls. They were all running from him tonight after I put them to bed. He cracks me up. This weekend I need to weed, it’s terrible!
OMG he's already mating!! That's fantastic, go Jasper!

We had another cold night last night, I saw ice on the puddles. That should be it for this round of cold, hoping to get the squash outside next week, but we'll see.

Done moving things into the greenhouse - for this week.View attachment 2630238
That's a pretty sight!

I got yet more weeding done and the chicks big brooder set up. I also had to do a lot of watering because it’s been extremely dry here. The exciting thing though is I planted 3 rows of sunflowers! It’s the first thing to go in the main garden this year!
Edit: forgot to add I almost stepped on a small king snake down by the coop this morning. I was happy to see it (even if it scared the daylights) out of me since they eat most poisonous snakes
Nonononono. Just no. I almost stepped on a little tiny garter snake last year & almost had a stroke! :gig

I knew they were probably too cool looking to be true! Good info, I won't be trying them. I had thought maybe in a few years when the bed needs to be replaced I'd throw a couple in but now I won't waste my time.

OMG he's already mating!! That's fantastic, go Jasper!

We had another cold night last night, I saw ice on the puddles. That should be it for this round of cold, hoping to get the squash outside next week, but we'll see.
Ice in April. No such problem here. I hope all is well in the garden!
I’ve read about ducks and mating. Apparently their sexual behavior begins quite a while before egg laying. I was hoping it meant eggs are imminent but sadly, no.

Good morning gardeners. Glad to hear you made it through this last blast of winter @Sueby. It got down to 34F this morning but all is well. The baby kale seedlings seem to have made it through the cold and the peach blossoms look good. The fritillaria were even looking pretty perky when I passed by them on my way to the chicken coop this morning. Still windy but the temps are already in the low 40's. If the wind dies down as predicted, I may be able to plant corn this afternoon. Rain is in the forecast for Sunday so I'm hoping to get some seedlings in the ground tomorrow. We have a few days in the 70's next week so I will likely plant the lima beans then. The grass is growing, so mowing season is almost here, oh joy!

Back
Top Bottom