What did you do in the garden today?

I have a lot to catch up on but I just wanted to say that some little critter is going to meet it's demise very shortly - something tore up my garden, dug up all the dill & parsley, half my onions, half of my pole beans & some of my bush beans. It went through the garlic too, but that's big enough that it was fine. It was a busy critter, I saw the holes all around down by the coop, then when I went into the garden I almost lost my mind. Looks like it was digging for grubs or worms, it didn't eat any of the garden stuff it dug up, it just tore it up & left it to die.

I'm going to set up the have a heart trap in the garden & then shoot whatever I catch. :gig :gig :gig I'm so mad. :mad: But man I hope it's not a skunk! I don't know how to dispatch that one without getting sprayed. :idunno
You hold up a bedsheet or blanket so that it covers you from head to toe. Then you can walk up on the trapped skunk and lower the sheet/blanket over the trap so that it covers it completely. Then pick up the trap by the handle (covered by the blanket). Walk the trap over to a barrel or trashcan filled with water. Put the trap with the skunk in it into the water filled container. The skunk will drown and you will not get sprayed. Yes, I have done this multiple times and it works!
ETA: Yes, skunks can still put off a noxious smell after they are dead. Once my husband shot one in the trap from a far. But he left it in the trap on the driveway to make sure it was dead before he approached it. In the meantime, the stench leaked out. :sick🤢 Since it was so near the house, the odor got into the house too. ☹️😠

Now once I drown them (he learned not to shoot them anymore!) they either get buried right away or I throw them on a big fire not close to the house!

Last edited:
Planted some zinnia and marigold seeds in cinder blocks I have lining outside of chicken run. We'll see how they do. Watered garden and noticed carrots are coming up yay :celebrate Garlic is growing like crazy. Planted a row each of wax and green beans. Filled wicking tubs I've collected so far with recycled bottles, juice cans, and other plastic containers, now I just need to drill holes in them all then fill with soil and fertilizer. I think I will plant some of my bigger Tomato plants in the smaller ones. ( I could cover easy if freeze comes along.) Sprouted lettuce, chard, spinach seeds for hydroponic tote I'm trying this year. It was a good day not too hot.

You hold up a bedsheet or blanket so that it covers you from head to toe. Then you can walk up on the trapped skunk and lower the sheet/blanket over the trap so that it covers it completely. Then pick up the trap by the handle (covered by the blanket). Walk the trap over to a barrel or trashcan filled with water. Put the trap with the skunk in it into the water filled container. The skunk will drown and you will not get sprayed. Yes, I have done this multiple times and it works!
Good to know cause I've been sprayed up close and it's gawd awful. All clothes ruined . Whatever you can do to keep that from happening would be great. :thumbsup

I'm envious of all of you that have garlic growing. I planted some and none of it has come up at all. I think I planted it at least a month ago, maybe 6 weeks.
My potatoes are all coming up!
We worked more on the Poplar Bluff house (Tuesday and Wednesday). The outside is looking real good. The inside still has a lot of work to be done. I'll post pictures when I get on my phone.

Today I did some more weeding, the never ending story! Then took a few pics that help me to appreciate how worthwhile the less fun garden jobs are. Nature is amazing!
20A07D68-E3B0-4D4B-B63E-8A6ACBF14FB3.jpeg
4A0E73E3-B355-4087-A413-4F25CB16C692.jpeg

Busy. We are in Poplar Bluff (again). Tuesday & Wednesday. The siding on the house is finally finished!! Hopefully they will finished the soffit and facia on Wednesday. Then waiting on the electrician (hopefully coming after Mother's Day). Then we can get going on the drywall. In the meantime we are finishing up re-wiring the whole house, building stairs to the basement, replacing a rotted beam in the porch ceiling, framing out the downstairs bathroom...

In the garden at home my potatoes are coming up! I still need to get more compost & dirt to refill the raised bed so that I can get it planted. Did cut up a tall redbud tree that got knocked over (split about 4 feet off the ground) and burned it all up.
I have 1 barred rock that is broody. We will see how she does. In the past BR's have not proven themselves to be very good at hatching out & rearing chicks.
So much for retirement :confused:

I love three bean salad too! I love how the wax beans squeak in my teeth.

Since they're still my teeth, I figure I'm only "later middle aged." :lau Most of my family who were this age had dentures, so I'm bucking the trend. Thanks mom, for insisting I brush my teeth!

@chickinlittles, your painting is beautiful. Wow. :bow

Mine gifted two of us no enamel on out teeth was 48

Weed wacked the front yard- but not all of it. Edged and cleared 1/2 the driveway. Need to put down some Roundup to retard the return of grass to the asphalt. Will do the other half of the driveway tomorrow. Also need to clean the chicken coop and put more sand in the run. I did cut most of the weed branches out of the holly tree. It is about 8 ft tall and round. Some bushy tree sends branches up in the middle of the thing. I got all but one - it was too thick to cut with the big snips- will have to get out a saw. So I guess tomorrow will be busy doing that.

I have a lot to catch up on but I just wanted to say that some little critter is going to meet it's demise very shortly - something tore up my garden, dug up all the dill & parsley, half my onions, half of my pole beans & some of my bush beans. It went through the garlic too, but that's big enough that it was fine. It was a busy critter, I saw the holes all around down by the coop, then when I went into the garden I almost lost my mind. Looks like it was digging for grubs or worms, it didn't eat any of the garden stuff it dug up, it just tore it up & left it to die.

I'm going to set up the have a heart trap in the garden & then shoot whatever I catch. :gig :gig :gig I'm so mad. :mad: But man I hope it's not a skunk! I don't know how to dispatch that one without getting sprayed. :idunno
:confused: I don’t get sprayed. I talk low, and don’t jerk it around. The cats… :rant I wish I could drown those things!

Back
Top Bottom