What did you do in the garden today?

I found my missing rhubarb! Yes!
I planned 6 in total, but later could only recall exactly where 5 of them were located. I knew the missing one was in the mini orchard along the fence, but not sure where and I didn't want to accidentally dig it up when I plant a crabapple (whenever that thing shows up). I marked them all with tomato cages, but this one I couldn't find. Today I looked again - I've been looking daily mind you - and I saw a small bright red speck looking through the mulch. I grabbed a tomato cage right away and stuck it over it. When they get a but bigger I will remove the cages, but they help to keep the dogs and children from stepping on the plants for now, and to help me remember where they are.

Good afternoon all, just finished with a lunch of instant pot beef ribs and fennel gratin. I had to remove the fennel from the bed it was trying to take over. I picked a couple of lettuces and traded them for butternut squash a neighbor had and now the bed has room for some of the determinant tomatoes.

@chickinlittles, that is the most beautiful cauliflower I have ever seen! I'm also going to steal your potatoes in the bag idea, I still have plenty of the mini tater seed potatoes to get put somewhere and we all have empty feed bags don't we?

Bitey had a couple hours out of jail and then went back to brooding so back to jail she went. The rest of the girls are eating so much less feed since they can spend so much time free-ranging, it's a great savings in feed costs. Flip side is the poops spread all over the yard. The lawn will be happy anyway. Just now watching The Great Pottery Throw down but when it's over I'm back outside.

Good afternoon all, just finished with a lunch of instant pot beef ribs and fennel gratin. I had to remove the fennel from the bed it was trying to take over. I picked a couple of lettuces and traded them for butternut squash a neighbor had and now the bed has room for some of the determinant tomatoes.

@chickinlittles, that is the most beautiful cauliflower I have ever seen! I'm also going to steal your potatoes in the bag idea, I still have plenty of the mini tater seed potatoes to get put somewhere and we all have empty feed bags don't we?

Bitey had a couple hours out of jail and then went back to brooding so back to jail she went. The rest of the girls are eating so much less feed since they can spend so much time free-ranging, it's a great savings in feed costs. Flip side is the poops spread all over the yard. The lawn will be happy anyway. Just now watching The Great Pottery Throw down but when it's over I'm back outside.
It tastes as good as it looks too. I will be interested in hearing how your tater bags work out for you! Yes we certianly do have a lot fo feed bags. They make great planters. Maybe not a purdy as the planting pouches that are sold for a lot of money but they work just as well. Just tuck them in behind things and you dont even see the bags,

It tastes as good as it looks too. I will be interested in hearing how your tater bags work out for you! Yes we certianly do have a lot fo feed bags. They make great planters. Maybe not a purdy as the planting pouches that are sold for a lot of money but they work just as well. Just tuck them in behind things and you dont even see the bags,
I you flip them inside out they would be all white. That would not look too bad actually...

We use it as our Christmas tree then plant it on the property.
Hubby's family used to do that every year. The first time we visited his mom's house, he pointed out the row of pine trees, saying, "That's 72, 73, 74,..."

We did the same thing for a while, but several died. Since we were limited to what hubby could actually lift, they were small (3 foot-ish) trees. The last few we were pretty sure wouldn't make it, as when we planted them, their taproots were chopped by whomever potted them up. It was too sad to watch them die, so we got a fiber optic tree the next year.

The okra is up now I think I need to resow some of the yellow crookneck since it hasn’t come up well. Time will tell if I have any seeds left in the hills I planted right before we got 4 inches of rain. To my shock the tomato trellis was still standing even after 50mph winds. I got the okra, snap beans and some of the limas weeded and potted up the mint, oregano and sage. Fresh mint and oregano both smell amazing! I’ve never gotten to smell them before now!

I think I need to resow some of the yellow crookneck since it hasn’t come up well.
I'm tempted to stop growing it. It didn't come up well for me last year or this year. I planted 9 cells and got only 4 to sprout. I replanted 6 more several days ago and am still waiting to see if the sprout. I planned on having 8 in the garden, but think it's going to be less. It might just be 4 even.

I'm tempted to stop growing it. It didn't come up well for me last year or this year. I planted 9 cells and got only 4 to sprout. I replanted 6 more several days ago and am still waiting to see if the sprout. I planned on having 8 in the garden, but think it's going to be less. It might just be 4 even.
The family would riot if I stopped growing it. Normally I don’t have problems but I was using older Seed this year so that may be my problem.

Back
Top Bottom