What did you do in the garden today?

Probably had frost in the garden last night. I covered the strawberries, and so far that has done the trick. I keep finding flowers with black centers, though, so not entirely.

I hope to get a lot more string trimming done today, and rake up the resulting mulch. Other than that, no much garden work planned.

Except to uncover the strawberries, then cover them back up this evening. Two more nights to go!

Probably had frost in the garden last night. I covered the strawberries, and so far that has done the trick. I keep finding flowers with black centers, though, so not entirely.

I hope to get a lot more string trimming done today, and rake up the resulting mulch. Other than that, no much garden work planned.

Except to uncover the strawberries, then cover them back up this evening. Two more nights to go!
We did not have a frost warning last night, so we did not cover ours. Hoping they are ok. But tonight there is a frost warning, so 1-2 more nights for us to cover strawberries.

What site or app do you prefer for checking weather that let's you know about frost warning. Surprisingly, it's something that's not included in many of the weather forecasts.
Or are you just watching the news? I can't do that between lack of time and fighting for tv access with children.
I have accuweather and the weather channel on my phone . They will send weather alerts .

Good morning gardeners. Don't get me started on seasonal allergies. The tree pollen count is through the roof again and I use 3 different antihistamines to get me through these days. Making it even more special is the wind stirring up the pollen. Ugh! I did manage to plant some parsley and radish seeds yesterday and do some raking and tidying up in the backyard. I planted some more chive and flower seeds in one of the herb beds this morning. I love the attitude @NewBoots, that is being retired does have an impact of how you address working in the garden and other household chores. I do try to set daily goals to keep my procrastinator tendencies under control. I have a Weather Channel app on my phone that is fair to middling. However, I do check on the news and weather on Channel 7 news. Their news reporting is more professional and less biased as some other channels and they do cover local and national news quite well. Their weather reporting has proven to be the most accurate for my area. Most of the more "local" stations are Boston centric and we are so far away that our weather is usually a lot different. I just go with the "if it's forecasted to be 37 to 39F overnight then expect some frost." We have one more night :fl of the iffy cold temps, then perhaps I can finish planting.

speaking of pain in the butt deer. I cannot keep them out this year. Next step is electric wire, which doesn't really work either. I am so sick of them. NOTHING NOTHING is working. And it's not like there's nothing else to eat this time of year. I'm ready to saw them all down. Many of the leaves are missing and that year after year, kills the trees.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Screenshot 2021-05-11 9.08.06 AM.png

What site or app do you prefer for checking weather that let's you know about frost warning. Surprisingly, it's something that's not included in many of the weather forecasts.
Or are you just watching the news? I can't do that between lack of time and fighting for tv access with children.
weather.gov
and after a certain period they aren't issued anymore. Only before the first freeze in the fall, and only after a warm up in the spring, when then can be a surprise.

speaking of pain in the butt deer. I cannot keep them out this year. Next step is electric wire, which doesn't really work either. I am so sick of them. NOTHING NOTHING is working. And it's not like there's nothing else to eat this time of year. I'm ready to saw them all down. Many of the leaves are missing and that year after year, kills the trees.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
View attachment 2663255
Maybe this would work for you.the vid is funny with little stinker in his shoulders. It might be worth a try and cheaper then fencing which is what I have to keep the deer away from my trees

Maybe this would work for you.the vid is funny with little stinker in his shoulders. It might be worth a try and cheaper then fencing which is what I have to keep the deer away from my trees
The soap doesn't work, repellent sprays don't work, dog in the orchard doesn't work, electric wire only works for a bit, hanging deer repellent bombs don't work, motion light and water blaster don't work, deer cages are leaned on and knocked over and therefor don't work, the deer strips in the trees obviously don't work with this deer.

The orchard is over an acre, so fencing is not really an option unless it is over 6-8 feet high, not an option. THey can jump high or far, but not both.

It wouldn't be an issue if the woman two acreages over would quit feeding them sweet feed year 'round and bringing them into the housing. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom