What did you do in the garden today?

Thanks to the lady across the way, these things aren't afraid of dogs. They'll run if chased, but not even the sight of people bother them.

my dog would not only chase them, he would eat them, lol. I was very upset when I saw him killing and eating a hedgehog. he killed at least 3 cats (5 chickens as well).

I used to work at a hospital that had a large amount of pothos ivy in the atrium and caretakers would trim them back and throw the trimmings away- a bunch of us would ask for them, so I have a lot of ivy in the house.
We lived in a two story house with a staircase in the middle of our house. We had east facing windows with skylights and my pathos grew through the banisters all the way up. Those things are awesome, one of my favorite houseplants!

Last edited:
definitely not. apparently you don't get cicadas in your area or you are young and don't know what they look like yet. When they come out they are thumb sized aliens that are EVERYWHERE.
When we lived in Ohio and DS was, gosh, 4, they were piled high and the noise was insanity driving. Each area has a different brood cycle. When I was a kid there were more forests too, instead of parking lots there. There was a contest for who could bring in the most dead bug bodies. People brought them in by the garbage bags full. One guy had so many bags they filled the back of his pick up truck. The prize? A VW beetle. LOL. Finding one with BLUE eyes was a bonus!!!!

There aren't so many here yet. Each broody mating season they spread out and lay eggs each hatch, so it takes a while. NOT a big tree area. But our cicadas are COLORFUL. Yes, these are my photos. LOL. We call them tickle bugs. DS LOVED to catch and play with them, and they tickle.
Ohio, Alabama,FLorida - green ones, OHio had mostly black and dark brown ones

DSCF8488.JPG

NEbraska

20190816_080010.jpg

Hopefully Mother Nature has straightened out her attitude.
I need to cover the strawberries tonight. Hope it's the last night...
Just in case anyone was interested, this is where I get my seeds
@Auntiejessi3, I LOVE Baker Creek! (rareseeds.com) If you get their print catalog, it has lots of interesting stuff. All that and more is probably on their website, but I still like to page through catalogs. Some time, I want to visit them.

I am right between the tallest peak this side of the Mississippi and another hige mountain, and am resisting the urge to plunk my tomatoes out until Sunday. My alabama gardening instincts are telling me I am running behind, but WNC last frost date is May 15. Last year I killed 80 plants with my overly eager hardening off.
We’re neighbors! I’m outside of AVL... and yes, last year’s last May cold snap killed lots of my pepper and tomatoes. I’m gun shy this year. 😂

Back
Top Bottom