What did you do in the garden today?

I need to walk the garden with the rake and stir up some small grasses that are coming up IN the mulch I bought. I am so annoyed with this mulch, full of mold, full of seeds, and full of construction debris (foam) and LARGE branch pieces. Major bagged named brand, and STILL no reply from them.
Sounds like they might need an honest online review :) I'm really enjoying the compost from last year's straw bales. Especially the not having to purchase compost or potting soil this year thing. I think I'll always grow in them. I did buy 1 bag of compressed Pro-mix from Wal-Mart to top dress the 10 bales (fabulous stuff) and a little more for microgreens b/c I wanted something more sterile for those.
@WthrLady, I know you operate on a much larger scale than I do though.

Good morning gardeners. With a lot of help from DD got all the grass mowed front, back yards, side slope, chicken yard and all around the gardens yesterday. Exhausting! We got nearly an inch of rain overnight and everything is looking fresh and perky this morning. I cultivated around the corn and winter squash then planted two rows of pole/ string beans with the corn. I need to run to the grocery store again. Good grief! I plan to cook bourbon chicken for dinner tonight as a thank you for DD's help with everything. We have to be careful when buying alcoholic beverages because they are not all gluten free. She's just finished recovering from having a glass of wine that was unknowingly not gluten free. The shrimp and greens recipe is really easy @NewBoots. I got it from watching one of Jamie Oliver's shows about 5 ingredient meals. Just cook your pasta, then cook your greens with either onions or shallots and garlic. Different greens cook for different lengths of time. When the pasta and greens are nearly completely cooked combine and add your shrimp Sauté everything until the shrimp is fully cooked. I always add some red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. That's about it. It's so easy. Coffee is gone so I need to dash off to the store now.

Sounds like they might need an honest online review :) I'm really enjoying the compost from last year's straw bales. Especially the not having to purchase compost or potting soil this year thing. I think I'll always grow in them. I did buy 1 bag of compressed Pro-mix from Wal-Mart to top dress the 10 bales (fabulous stuff) and a little more for microgreens b/c I wanted something more sterile for those.
@WthrLady, I know you operate on a much larger scale than I do though.
This mulch is in my walking paths. If I drop $$ for 70 bags of mulch and it's advertised and clean, and free of weeds and actually says free of construction debris, it better be!

Still lurgy from yesterday, son is bleh today. I feel like movement is magnified, which means I have fluid backing up in my ear canals. BLEH. (I worked outside right before the storm came through and had allergins shoved right up my nose at 40 mph.)

4 hours outside completed! Some watering and then mostly weeding. Got in before noon. I only weeded the tomato bed and the pepper bed. Good thing on the pepper bed as it was almost like replanting some of the plants. Whatever was in that bed really made some tunnels - I had to remove lots of weeds then move around soil to fill in around the roots of some plants, and under some of the plants. At least they look healthy.

I’ve got a few more things to do, but I’ll wait until later. Supposed to be near 90F today. Possible thunderstorms.

enjoy your Saturday!

I stopped by the farmers market today. I should have set up and sold some eggs. Just too hot... But I am making a commitment to do it next weekend. I may bag up some extra compost and try to sell it too.

In the meantime, I bought a luffa gourd start from an old guy. I've always wanted to try it but just haven't. I realize now that they need 200 days to mature which I don't really have. Granted we aren't likely to see frost until after Thanksgiving so MAYBE I can get 1 or 2? I'm mostly after the seeds that I can use for next year. The good news is that I only paid $1 for it... So no great loss if it doesn't make it.

20210612_121210.jpg

I stopped by the farmers market today. I should have set up and sold some eggs. Just too hot... But I am making a commitment to do it next weekend. I may bag up some extra compost and try to sell it too.

In the meantime, I bought a luffa gourd start from an old guy. I've always wanted to try it but just haven't. I realize now that they need 200 days to mature which I don't really have. Granted we aren't likely to see frost until after Thanksgiving so MAYBE I can get 1 or 2? I'm mostly after the seeds that I can use for next year. The good news is that I only paid $1 for it... So no great loss if it doesn't make it.

View attachment 2715549
Mine started growing kinda late last year. We got luffa, but not dried. However, did get some light dried luffa at the end. We finished drying the luffa indoors.

This year, they were planted direct and are growing. Again, we are not likely to see dried luffa on the vine, but you should still try it out!

Potato is showing this on leaves. Only a couple of plants, only a few leaves. Plants look fine otherwise. What is it?
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 2.09.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 2.09.39 PM.png

Beans are climbing!
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 2.10.04 PM.png

I went into he coop later in the afternoon yesterday. Here are some of the top chickens. No surprise, all 4 of the ones we kept from our first batch of chicks are on the top, along with two from the batch the following year. So these are our old biddies L to R: Sylvia, Marigold, Jasmine, Lacey, Galadriel, and Kili.
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 2.10.34 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom