What did you do in the garden today?

That's what I do. Gallon bags frozen flat in the freezer.

I make a lot of broth from leftover beef, chicken, and pork. I pour it into a cupcake pan and freeze. Then I put the cupcake pan into a quarter inch of hot water which causes the frozen broth to loosen. Pop them out easily with a butter knife and put them in a gallon freezer bag. Each cupcake sized brothcicle is about a quarter cup of broth. Makes it easier to only pull out what you need without thawing out the whole bag.

I've had 5 or 6 blueberry plants. They just don't seem to do well here. Never seem to get any bigger even after a few years! I do add sawdust to add acidity or whatever it is they like and I try to water them with only rain water like I read. But it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am now down to 1 blueberry plant and it isn't doing to great. I am wondering if I'm supposed to prune them or something to make them grow better. :confused: I didn't get any blueberries last year. The birds got the few that the plant produced. I'm not sure if it will even put out any blueberries this year. ☹️

I've gone over and beyond trying to get the blueberries to work. I made raised beds because the soil here is always too alkaline. I mixed in a huge bag of peat moss, peat humus, compost, pine needles, and layered the top with about 4-6 inches of pine bark mulch. That's not including the sulphur and fertilizer I added separately and continuously. Mine were doing really well until this last bout of rain. Then the chlorosis started. I thought maybe some of the sulphur and fertilizer had washed out from the heavy rain, plus it had been a month since I fertilized/added sulphur so I added more. I think this time I added too much and burned the roots? I've lost one bush completely. Another looks like this...

20210616_113247.jpg

The other 5 are still chloritic but are also starting to get the dying leaves just like the first two. Pretty sure all of them are going to die and I'm not sure how to save them. I wish I could call a plant doctor like I call a vet..... 😔

I got 10 "trees" from the Arbor Day foundation ( or something like that). They were all bare root trees (twigs really) and they arrived during winter so I heeled them in to the garden.
Only 3 of them survived. The 2 Washington Hawthorns and some kind of crab apple. I planted them all somewhere ( I don't actually remember where!) a week or 2 ago.

That's where mine came from as well... I lost the paper that tells you what paint colors go with which trees. Tried to look it up online and there's so many different versions, it wasn't helpful. Found my "legend" AFTER I had the trees planted. Go figure... So far I THINK the Washington Hawthorns, 1 redbud, and 1 crabapple have made it. I have another crabapple and a mystery tree to still plant. Might be a crape myrtle....no clue. But so far everything is still alive.

What did you do in your garden today?

I picked a bunch of Rattlesnake green beans and Cherokee wax beans, a few tomatoes, three eggplants, some broccoli shoots, and jalapenos. Pretty happy with today's harvest!
thumbsup.gif
Well due to Chickenmath, broodymania, mama raising babies among giants(26 inch tall brother roos), multiple injuries and coops, my garden starts are mostly still in containers-Planting normally around Memorial Day in Alaska. Just start weeding some of my beds yesterday and decided the vegetable garden probably won't happen this year with chickens taking up most of my time-lol. A new satisfying use of my time is setting fly bait traps!

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 2
Beautiful day in the garden before it gets too hot this afternoon. I watered this morning.

Sunflowers are starting to bloom.
20210616_112550.jpg

Thinking I should pull some of these onions. I have already pulled quite a few. Wanted them to get a hair bigger...
20210616_112604.jpg

Making myself leave the Anaheim peppers ALONE until they turn red.... 😂 So impatient!
20210616_112625.jpg

Eggplant is going to town with the blooms
20210616_112702.jpg

I've strangely lost TWO Dill plants in the past week. They were doing fine and then suddenly wilted and died within a day. I planted them as a pest deterrent. Wondering what killed them. Here's one that's blooming. It was covered in little bees....
20210616_112712.jpg

My first watermelon of the season. It's softball sized now. Didn't get ANY last year. They all split before they were full sized. Trying really hard this year to do it right.
20210616_112730.jpg

Collected a bunch of dead flower heads from my marigolds. Put them in a bowl to dry... I also collected some seeds from the calendula and tried to blow it into the pasture. Went the wrong way and ended up in the blackberry patch. 🙄
20210616_113935.jpg

How do you store your seeds until the spring? Freezer? Frige? Drawer?

Its winter here in Australia which means bare root fruit planting! I got another (potted) blueberry plant plus some more strawberries. To add to my collection I have added two varieties of raspberry, thornless blackberry and red currant which are currently soaking with the strawberries. Just read now apparently most dislike my sub-tropical climate but I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. Also got a few discounted plants which I'll add to my garden beds today.
Which part of QLD are you in? I had a best friend growing up who lived in Yeppoon. I haven't seen her in 20 yrs but I always loved it there. So beautiful! Australia is probably my favorite country after my own....

Back
Top Bottom