What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Congratulations on the rain @Sally PB. No rain here until perhaps tomorrow evening at the earliest. I watered the main garden and those in the backyard this morning. I let my rooster out to wander about while I was working on that and picking two heads of Romaine lettuce and some chard. I got most of the framing boards cut for the new rooster pen yesterday. I twisted the wrong way and I got a painful muscle spasm in my back. I'm not sure if it's a bit of a strained muscle or my fibromyalgia acting up. I'm feeling better today but I still want to take it a little easier. The temps are going up again so we will be bringing the "littles" indoors to enjoy the AC. They are 3 weeks old now so still not enough feathers to send them outside on their own without a brooder plate. I do have a medical appointment next week, but aside from that and the weather I should be able to get the new pen put together quick enough. Finally the grass has slowed down on growing. We mowed a week ago on Friday and it can go a few more days. Yay! Still no more action in the lima bean bed so I will be planting carrots and onions in there in the next few days. Well I'm off to the grocery store to pick up some lobster for the lobster rolls I promised DD for tonight's dinner. Have a great day all!

Rain is supposed tomorrow morning here. Debating on pulling the last of the potatoes because of how much rain is forecasted. Really need to finish some major weeding but I don’t think I’ll have time since it’s already hot today. Also our dryer broke yesterday so I’m having to finish up the laundry so I don’t have to try to line dry it in a monsoon.

Was just reminded why you don't skip a week tying up tomatoes. LOL. I skipped doing the chicken garden last week. And hour later.... Good grief.

Pulled one showing signs of fungus. Will spray the rest this weekend. It's been unrelentingly humid all day and all through the night, which causes fungus-y issues. Copper sulfate it is.

DH and I took advantage of it only being 76 humid degrees at dawn and started moving all the seasoned hay to the barn. OMG it smells so sweet and good. I'll clean out the shed this weekend, and it will be ready for new hay when we cut it.

We are now considering building a second hay shed so we don't have to do this shuffle every year. Gets hard on an old body. We put the FIRST of LAST summer's hay in the feeder this week. So our field is producing enough hay to feed our stock for a year, even with the brutal winter we had. So I'm happy with that.

I saw two orange tomatoes in the garden this morning- and four tiny little jalapeno peppers that are probably firecrackers in power.

Get down and dirty today everyone.

Not so hot today. Only 95'.

Morning all. I just took the top off the jeep & decided to take a break, then back out there.

I have little jalapenos too! I need to water today & tie up the tomatoes. I weed whacked yesterday, got some plants moved around. I found 2 squash plants growing in the grass so I dug them up & put them in the planters - the chippies knocked the seeds out of the pots way back when & they finally sprouted. :gig Moved some morning glories to their places on the fence so DH doesn't weed whack them. Weeded a bit & put some stepping stones down in the garden. Garden is looking good, can't wait for my alaska fish fertilizer to come today!

I would like to get a couple wheelbarrows of wood chips into the chicken run...off to do it before it gets too hot! Have a good one.

Last edited:
EW, I cut a branch of tent caterpillars out of the mulberry tree after almost walking into them. I put it in the middle of the gravel drive, kerosene, and put a match to it. Nasty things.

Ugh....I HATE those things. Nasty, nasty creatures....

Remember the "mulberry" tree I found in my back yard? Well....it has ZERO berries on it now so I am not sure it is a mulberry. I grew up around mulberries and pretty much remember them having berries all summer long. So I'm thinking it was/is some other kind of tree....

I have learned that aphids and white flies can get through insect netting. Grrr..... They are ALL OVER my tomatoes which are inside the hoop house. I had been spraying them with Neem oil & castile soap but needed to upgrade to something harder. Unfortunately a hose doesn't reach INSIDE the hoop house, so I can't just spray them off. (Note - I have pvc underground that waters everything inside the hoop house).

I'm still amazed at how much NICER my tomatoes are this year being inside the hoop house compared to last year when they weren't. Part of this is better weed control since I put down fabric barrier (recycled feed bags) and mulch.

Same with my squash. It is rockin and rollin....Protected from squash bugs and vine borers.

I need more hoop houses....maybe next year, I will do two of them instead of only 1. That way I can put my broccoli, pumpkin, and cukes inside too.

I succumbed to garden math ! And IT 1/2 OFF? So so scanned the tomato plants ( like I need more) but wanted to try these heirloom brands and seeds and plants were pricy this year. So I planted Cherokee purple, and brandywine in ground. I had sauceilicious plant there but looked horrible for the last 2 weeks so I yanked them , must have been a bad pack they all died. I also have 2 goliath in ground and one is stunted leaves have brown spots I should j by toust send pix not sure it's worth trying to save. What do you think it is? F wilt ?

Attachments

• PXL_20210618_160348777.jpg
    PXL_20210618_160348777.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210618_160401297.jpg
    PXL_20210618_160401297.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom