What did you do in the garden today?

I'm not doing much in the garden until maybe late tonight. Too hot... Will be in the triple digits with the heat index.

Now let's talk about potatoes.... I did 2 separate batches this year. The main batch was in grow bags which, admittedly, I have neglected. They did really well last year but I also kept them in partial shade. This year they have been out in the full sun and blight has pretty much decimated them. I'll be surprised if I get a single potato from them.

Which leaves the 2nd batch. These were pretty much "throw away" pieces that I decided to experiment with. I took some chicken wire and made a tall "barrel which I filled with dead leaves in the bottom and basically buried the potato pieces in the leaves. No soil was used at all except for the compost I have added occasionally for nutritional purposes. These potatoes came up much later than the others but they are doing far better.... Even being out in direct sunlight all day. They only issue I've had is some potato white mold on the stems which I treated with a Fungicide. Still waiting to see how the end product compares but if they turn out really well I will move to this method completely next year

Good morning. Hot and muggy today.

one more potato beetle found in the farthest patch. :mad: They are from the neighbor 2 houses away. He had them terribly last year. Wasn’t going to plant any potatoes this year, but found some leftover from last year. So those got planted snd grew. His way of dealing with them (as they devour his plants) is to flick them off - which is like doing nothing. :rolleyes:
I hear ya. My zucchini is down to one plant and I found squash bugs in my yellow squash:barnie

Just lazy I guess. I got my prayer garden 75% cleared yesterday and did some weed whacking. Today, I watered my plants then went inside. It wasn’t too hot, I just lost heart after finding only one live zucchini and squash bugs in my yellow squash. So, housework for me. Maybe I we I’ll finish the prayer garden this afternoon- another disappointing failure. :oops:

Yesterday, after supper, I was able to go out and pick a few fresh strawberries and made myself a chocolate strawberry milk shake for dessert. Very nice.

Today we have a nice steady rain going on. First rainfall in weeks and weeks. Really loving it as a gardener.

Will be harvesting some more Swiss Chard for Dear Wife who is making Chicken Tinola for supper tonight. I have been fighting a bad summer cold for a short week and chicken soup just fits the prescription to make me feel better. Fresh Swiss Chard from the garden just makes it even more special.

1624218725619.png

Afternoon all.
I pulled the trigger and mowed the hay field. Phew. HOT.
I still need to spread it, but the PTO on the tractor needs to cool off before we can swap the implements out and I needed a late lunch and an ice cold shower. So I'll spread the hay to dry tonight.
There's a LOT of clover and alfalfa this year, so it smells amazing.
Although I cannot feel my anything at the moment. LOL.

I got my prayer garden 75% cleared yesterday

I had never seen, nor heard of, a prayer garden. I thought you were just kidding, but I see online that there are actually articles to build prayer gardens where you can pray in the midst of a nice garden. Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I learned something new today.

I hear ya. My zucchini is down to one plant and I found squash bugs in my yellow squash:barnie

Squash Bugs are terrible!

Shhh... <whispers> so far this year I've only seen a few squash bugs. Its still early. I've been checking for eggs on the underside of the leaves, and nothing so far. I wouldn't want any nearby squash bugs to hear and think they have an invitation to my garden.

Back
Top Bottom