What did you do in the garden today?

Didn't get to the garden today. It was very cool outside. The high was supposed to be 77 but I don't think it made it that high. Light rain this morning. Significant rain last night! Spent a couple of hours picking up downed branches in the yard. Was going to use the chainsaw to trim back saplings along side the driveway but the chain came off (again!) after only 4 small trees. So I ended up pulling out dead branches and downed limbs out of the woods. Took my hubby out for Red Lobster this evening to make up for last night. We went out to a different restaurant for Father's Day but the service was terrible ( our waitress didn't appear to have too many tables) and his food was cold and his daughter wasn't happy with her food either. Most of my food was great, except for the asparagus. They were very small and they did not cut or snap off the part where it was cut from the ground!
Tonight's meal was MUCH better!

Still catching up on posts, but this is some of the fallout from last week's vacation, including my first fig! Have some pickling to do now. I saw the discussion on canning lids, I have been using the Walmart mainstays brand of lids for a couple years and never had any problems with seals. They are made in the USA.

View attachment 2729298
Looks like a nice haul

Didn't get to the garden today. It was very cool outside. The high was supposed to be 77 but I don't think it made it that high. Light rain this morning. Significant rain last night! Spent a couple of hours picking up downed branches in the yard. Was going to use the chainsaw to trim back saplings along side the driveway but the chain came off (again!) after only 4 small trees. So I ended up pulling out dead branches and downed limbs out of the woods. Took my hubby out for Red Lobster this evening to make up for last night. We went out to a different restaurant for Father's Day but the service was terrible ( our waitress didn't appear to have too many tables) and his food was cold and his daughter wasn't happy with her food either. Most of my food was great, except for the asparagus. They were very small and they did not cut or snap off the part where it was cut from the ground!
Tonight's meal was MUCH better!
Wow have them out here have not been there in years .. Restaurants here are crying they cannot get servers now

Question: Can peas be grown in deck rail planters and just let the vines hang down on the rails instead of growing up on a trellis? I would think so, but have not grown peas successfully in the garden on a trellis, so thought I might try something else. Just found 4 big planters in my shed that you put on the top deck rail and thought I might use them for peas. Have a pack of peas that I never opened this year. So thought I might give it a go.

1624334371781.png

Backup idea is to just plant some radish in the planters. Another idea was to plant pole beans in these planters and just let them grow out and hang down the deck.

FWIW, I offered the planters up to Dear Wife for her flowers, but she took a pass on them as she is happy with all the flowers she has and does not want to buy more. Anyway, just trying to think of how to use these planters this summer if I can.

Question: Can peas be grown in deck rail planters and just let the vines hang down on the rails instead of growing up on a trellis? I would think so, but have not grown peas successfully in the garden on a trellis, so thought I might try something else. Just found 4 big planters in my shed that you put on the top deck rail and thought I might use them for peas. Have a pack of peas that I never opened this year. So thought I might give it a go.

View attachment 2729309

Backup idea is to just plant some radish in the planters. Another idea was to plant pole beans in these planters and just let them grow out and hang down the deck.

FWIW, I offered the planters up to Dear Wife for her flowers, but she took a pass on them as she is happy with all the flowers she has and does not want to buy more. Anyway, just trying to think of how to use these planters this summer if I can.
I have two on my patio railing. I planted strawberries in them last year. All but one dead over winter as the planters don't insulate the plants as will as the earth does. The strawberries did grow though. Peas should work. I would think small people plants would be fine, but make sure they are a small plant variety as most peppers grow on large plants. Greens like lettuce or spinach would do well, but would need some shade I think in your climate. A small stand of celery would be interesting and might work. You could grow beets even in them. Radishes would certainly work too.

I have two on my patio railing. I planted strawberries in them last year. All but one dead over winter as the planters don't insulate the plants as will as the earth does. The strawberries did grow though. Peas should work. I would think small people plants would be fine, but make sure they are a small plant variety as most peppers grow on large plants. Greens like lettuce or spinach would do well, but would need some shade I think in your climate. A small stand of celery would be interesting and might work. You could grow beets even in them. Radishes would certainly work too.

Thanks for the ideas. Since I have 4 planters, I might try a little of each just to see how it goes. Will have to look over remaining seed packets and see what I have left.

I planted a 4X4 raised bed with 16 strawberry plants this year. I think most should winter over OK. But I could see where these deck planters do not have enough soil to protect the strawberry plants over winter.

Back
Top Bottom