What did you do in the garden today?

About to water, I have a hatching dilemma though:
3 adorable baby chicks hatched overnight.

Just saw momma and babies out of the nesting box (locked in a large dog crate), and the last chick has externally pipped with a pretty good sized hole. It is 10:30 AM, temp is 86 and rising, humidity is 67%. Trying to decide if I should leave the egg where it is, remove the nesting box so the egg is on the floor (forgot to do that before they started hatching), or snag it for another stubborn broody to finish the job and grab a couple of sibling from TSC.

Thoughts?

so no bothering with the nasty anti slip mats that are a breeding ground for bacteria.

Excellent point. The trick is to rinse the mats off good after the shower and let them hang up to dry out before the next shower. I would put our anti slip mats over the railings on the bathtub chair to dry out. Every once in a while, a good cleaning with bleach was needed. Some mats can be thrown in the washer for a good, hot cleaning. Eventually, they need to be replaced.

But, if you just leave the anti slip mat on the bottom of the tub and never clean it up and let it dry out, then yes, that is a good breeding ground for bacteria.

I have become a big fan of building and using sub irrigated planters. My favorite is my 2X4 foot elevated sub irrigated planter which I keep out on my deck and it grows lots of beans. There is an excellent channel on YouTube called "Gardening With Leon" and he shows you how to make inexpensive sub irrigated tubs more in line with what your are talking about with the self-watering containers. Here is a sample of what you can find on his channel....

Awesome! I have been a huge fan of Leon for a couple of years now. I've really wanted to take a trip to his place in Oklahoma since I'm only a few hours there! He has a GREAT gardening channel. I think I've linked to it before on this thread....

Question for you peach tree growers.... Does this look like Brown Spot to you? Or something else? Leaves are still soft and pliable but yellowing and then dropping.

20210624_111506.jpg

20210624_111512.jpg

20210624_111456.jpg

I'm thinking maybe I need to spray Bordeaux mix again?

My Apple watch is setup to alert DD and call 911 if I fall and don't respond. I wear that from dawn to bedtime. It does work as I have found on several occasions where I'm just doing normal work and accidently bump the watch hard.
My mom decided to get one of those alert things. As I recall, it came with a larger item (deck of cards size) that one could have with them or place conveniently - like in the bedroom or something. The other was perhaps meant to be worn or something. These were connected to Fire/ambulance service. Anyway, she did not know that the smaller item (I guess to be worn) was sensitive to "falls" meaning that it had some kind of sensor that knew if you fell and would notify the proper assistance. Well, she put it in her purse..... All of a sudden, numerous times the assistance providers (ambulance, etc) would show up looking for my mom. They would come in her home (I think it was required to provide garage code maybe or key or something) and search for her. But she'd be out and about, not in her home, but had put her purse down or something. This went on for awhile until the company service rep explained to her what each item was for. OH! now she understood that the little item wasn't meant to go in her purse, and why. Hmmm. not sure if she even uses it now.

@Wee Farmer Sarah - My potatoes have lots of daddy long legs in them too. They are clearly laying in wait for bugs. I also have some tiny bugs that seem to like the potato leaves, but the damage isn't much, and the DLL are out there laying in wait, so I don't spray. Don't think the Daddy Long Legs will touch the Colorado Potato Beetle, unfortunately.

Speaking of leaves, I used my last bag in the compost yesterday. I turned both piles yesterday & the one I'm using was stinky, too much green, so I added my last bag of saved leaves. That's sad. Now I need to hold onto cardboard & the shredded paper I guess.

I have so many daddy long legs in my black eyed susans! I'm not sure why, but they sit there all day long.

@WthrLady I know cell towers definitely do prioritize 911 calls over anything else, & even if I don't have enough cell service here to make a call, 911 will go thru. It will connect to anything it can to make that call happen, even a competitors cell tower. It is law that any carrier has to accept a 911 call, if possible. Just like any old phone that is no longer under contract will still call 911 if it can reach any tower.

I had been concerned I wasn't seeing any pollinators - till yesterday. Wow, they've come out in force. I'll stop hand pollinating now.

Everything is looking good, I have a few green (ok, purple) beans to pick! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom