What did you do in the garden today?

I think I've linked to it before on this thread....

I don't think we can mention or offer too many links to the "Gardening With Leon" channel. I know I have post links to his channel before, but with 35,000+ posts on this thread, you never know who is reading something for the first time.

I really have enough for my own needs. But I don't turn stuff down if I can get it home.

I have the same attitude. I think that if we show others how valuable that yard waste could be, then they might consider using it themselves as well. If they don't want it, I'll take it and thank them for all the valuable material I can recycle for my chickens or the garden. Like you, I have more than enough yard waste for my own needs. In fact, I have been giving some chicken run compost away to my gardening neighbors. They appreciate it.

I can relate about the squash. I planted my spaghetti squash next to the hoop house which is covered in insect netting. It is climbing the netting like something out of a horror movie....but also creeping it's way through the rows on the ground. It somehow missed my eggplant (thankfully) but has latched itself onto my New Zealand spinach.
I say they look like the subject of a Stephen King book. Almost expect to wake up one morning and find a big turban squash sitting on my chest trying to turn into a clone of me like a pod in The Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Had to go to town this afternoon. Stopped by Lowe's to look at the clearance rack in the garden section. They had a bunch of raspberries and blackberries on clearance. I bought 3 thornless blackberries (1 gallon) for $7/each.

I have a bunch of blackberry brambles now but they are NOT thornless. If I planted these new plants nearby, do you think they would cross pollinate? What would be the outcome, do you think? 🤔
We had planted about 150 of the thornless blackberries. The person I talked to when I bought them (Stark Brothers) assured me that they were rated for Missouri growth zone. Well they provided about a season and a half worth of blackberries. I had sold about 50 pounds of them on their best year. Then we had a hard winter and 2/3rds of them died out. Then lost another half of what was left the next winter. I mowed down the remaining last year and dared them to resprout from the roots. They must have taken me seriously because they didn't come up this spring.

Wild blackberries and raspberries abound here so I'm happy if I can beat the deer and birds to them. There is a vineyard about a mile from us. I am amazed if they get a crop to harvest for wine every year. One thing I've learned is that anything you try to grow for profit is very labor intensive.

This was a druggie driving around his baby momma and his exbaby momma, also both high as kites. He was threatening to kill them, and was driving around for 4 hours threatening to kill them and dump their bodies in a ditch. He slowed to take a turn and they jumped out of the car, they hid in the high hay and he left. They wandered into my place and I hid them in the barn until the sheriff got here. Crazy.
You done good!

We had planted about 150 of the thornless blackberries. The person I talked to when I bought them (Stark Brothers) assured me that they were rated for Missouri growth zone. Well they provided about a season and a half worth of blackberries. I had sold about 50 pounds of them on their best year. Then we had a hard winter and 2/3rds of them died out. Then lost another half of what was left the next winter. I mowed down the remaining last year and dared them to resprout from the roots. They must have taken me seriously because they didn't come up this spring.

Wild blackberries and raspberries abound here so I'm happy if I can beat the deer and birds to them. There is a vineyard about a mile from us. I am amazed if they get a crop to harvest for wine every year. One thing I've learned is that anything you try to grow for profit is very labor intensive.
These are Prime-Ark Freedom variety. I just looked them up online and it says they are a fall bearing... Didn't even know that you could GET blackberries that are fall bearing. I'm just excited that they are thornless....lol. We have a lot of wild blackberries around here so I'm sure my DH will think I was nuts to buy them. Personally, I'd rather harvest from THORNLESS plants.

These are Prime-Ark Freedom variety. I just looked them up online and it says they are a fall bearing... Didn't even know that you could GET blackberries that are fall bearing. I'm just excited that they are thornless....lol. We have a lot of wild blackberries around here so I'm sure my DH will think I was nuts to buy them. Personally, I'd rather harvest from THORNLESS plants.
I think the bulk of ours were triple Crowns. When they were bearing heavily the fruit was amazing. Some of the blackberries were as big as my thumb. They just weren't as hardy as the ads and the sellers claimed they were.

Then we got hit with an infestation of fruit flies....the year a winery wanted to buy the fruit.

That taught me to really respect people who make a living growing this kind of stuff and then taught me another lesson......I'm not cut out to be a fruit farmer, LOL.

These are Prime-Ark Freedom variety.
I have a bunch of blackberry brambles now but they are NOT thornless. If I planted these new plants nearby, do you think they would cross pollinate? What would be the outcome, do you think? 🤔
I have one of these. Big sweet berries with less acid than typical blackberries. It should have two crops - before and after the normal blackberry crop. Nice to extend the season.

I found a journal article that said both fall fruiting and thornlessness are recessive.. I guess you wouldn't easily get thornless offspring if it crossed with your wild berries.

This was a druggie driving around his baby momma and his exbaby momma, also both high as kites. He was threatening to kill them, and was driving around for 4 hours threatening to kill them and dump their bodies in a ditch. He slowed to take a turn and they jumped out of the car, they hid in the high hay and he left. They wandered into my place and I hid them in the barn until the sheriff got here. Crazy.

Drugs can ruin lives. I have yet to meet someone that using illegal drugs has improved their situation. You may have saved them for the day, but unless they change their lives, I expect they will find themselves in the same or similar situation again. Well, we do what we can and they should be thankful for your efforts.

Back
Top Bottom