What did you do in the garden today?

Today in the garden… I am going to be mixing some compost in with the potato dirt I dumped yesterday. I need to find the drill bits, and add holes to two buckets, then fill them back up with refreshed dirt. I can’t explain it, but growing potatoes is fun. Maybe it’s because it’s more like washing a load of towels (does anyone get excited about towels?) than my favorite shirt (the shirt would be anything else in the garden that I actually love). A failed harvest would not bother me, but a good harvest is exciting to see.
If I’m not making sense, I blame the fact that I’m under caffeinated! :caf
View attachment 2770746
I can relate....

Mood.jpg

In other words, you're too busy processing your awesome harvest to spend a lot of time online, even here! So good! I hope to be where you are in a couple months - here's hoping :)

Exactly! I'm now 23 pages behind because yesterday I picked tomatoes, peppers and onions. Then I made salsa, which I cooked down yesterday but realized I don't have small lids, so I need to either get wide mouth pint jars or small lids. I'm leaning towards the wide mouth pint jars because I prefer the wide mouth jars for most things. I only need small lids for jelly/jam jars then, which I have plenty of and they only hold 1 cup (1/2 pint) so I don't use them for much else other than jelly/jam and small pickled things like relish and pickled radishes.

Speaking of pickled things, tomorrow is the day I get to taste test a jar of pickles!!! We made our first batch pickled cucumbers on 7/10, and I wait 2 weeks before touching them. 4 weeks is even better, but I think the pickle chips might be good tomorrow since they are thinner so the pickle juice fully penetrates them quicker. Whole dill pickles are definitely a 4 week wait time which is very difficult for me. I get antsy and want to open the jars and eat ASAP. LOL!

Afternoon all! Picked a mountain of basil and a few pounds of cherry tomatoes this morning, will be making basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted salsa this afternoon. My watermelons are finally flowering (better late than never) and I need to hoist up some birdhouse gourds with hose. Beans are drying and the swallowtail caterpillars are out in full force devouring all my dill & parsley, gotta get out there and plant more <3 Every year I have a random plant grow out of the compost and this year it‘s one of those bumpy gourds from the grocery store lol it’s growing like a monster, two 20 foot branches full of flowers, best thing I didn’t plant/water/tend to all year!

Afternoon all! Picked a mountain of basil and a few pounds of cherry tomatoes this morning, will be making basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted salsa this afternoon. My watermelons are finally flowering (better late than never) and I need to hoist up some birdhouse gourds with hose. Beans are drying and the swallowtail caterpillars are out in full force devouring all my dill & parsley, gotta get out there and plant more <3 Every year I have a random plant grow out of the compost and this year it‘s one of those bumpy gourds from the grocery store lol it’s growing like a monster, two 20 foot branches full of flowers, best thing I didn’t plant/water/tend to all year!
My volunteer plant from compost this year is a potato :D and my watermelons are also actively flowering (a lot) from this week, can't wait!

@Acre4Me that creeps me out so. LOL Gotta love nature!

I'm leaning towards the wide mouth pint jars because I prefer the wide mouth jars for most things. I only need small lids for jelly/jam jars then, which I have plenty of and they only hold 1 cup (1/2 pint) so I don't use them for much else other than jelly/jam and small pickled things like relish and pickled radishes.
I completely concur. Wide mouth jars are better & I use the pints only for jam or little things. I also tried my sandwich pickles last night, they were good, perfect amount of spice from the habaneros I added. I do wish I could make crisper pickles though. I use pickle crisp & it helps, but I like a good crunch. Oh well.

@Wee Farmer Sarah your little are so pretty! ❤️ So I made the cucumber soup & I am not a big fan. We'll eat it, but I won't make it again. & it was just plain gross cold, but I already thought that was weird before I tried it so there was no way I'd have liked it. :gig

I have 2 loaves of cucumber bread in the oven. :drool

@Acre4Me that creeps me out so. LOL Gotta love nature!

I completely concur. Wide mouth jars are better & I use the pints only for jam or little things. I also tried my sandwich pickles last night, they were good, perfect amount of spice from the habaneros I added. I do wish I could make crisper pickles though. I use pickle crisp & it helps, but I like a good crunch. Oh well.

@Wee Farmer Sarah your little are so pretty! ❤️ So I made the cucumber soup & I am not a big fan. We'll eat it, but I won't make it again. & it was just plain gross cold, but I already thought that was weird before I tried it so there was no way I'd have liked it. :gig

I have 2 loaves of cucumber bread in the oven. :drool
I still have one more recipe collection to search through for that recipe. I’m sure it was a hot soup. And certain it isn’t a cream soup either. I’m lactose intolerant and avoid making cream soups.

Back
Top Bottom