What did you do in the garden today?

I spent about an hour digging potatoes. I got less than I wanted, but I blame that on the purples being tiny and the late planting meant the heat slowed tuber production before they were all developed. In all happy with this though. I just harvested one mound. I have two more mounds plus three feedbags converted to potato planters.
20210723_190614.jpg

ETA Those Purple Majesty potatoes are so dark they were difficult to spot. They blend right in with clumps of dirt. Would be a good option for those with red clay dirt though as they would be much easier to spot.

I make a peach/hot pepper jelly that my relatives go crazy for! We eat it with cheese & crackers. They request it at every holiday now!
Need recipe as well. :)
Newer and stronger cornish crosses? Or like a red ranger?
Newer and stronger cornish cross, I spoke to the boss lady at the fair and she said that Jenkins Hatchery and one other local hatchery have a variety that was improved for heartiness. It appears to have also made them smarter, they act more like normal chickens and less like lumps. All the CX at the fair were the newer variety and the boss lady said some of them (54 to 56 days old) were trying to mate and fight. That's a lot of activity for CX so I am told.

Edited to add: that there are much fewer sudden deaths with this new strain.

I really need a greenhouse. One of my bucket list items, but being newly retired, need to whip my OWN ASS and hide the credit cards!! Just because you have the time now Aaron does NOT mean it's a good time to buy all that crap you need for all the projects you been pining over the last decade!! You have nothing BUT time now, pace yourself, and the wallet out flow !!

Aaron

:old Well, I am semi-retired. But I find myself purchasing more of the things on my bucket list now than I ever thought of before. Seems to me that I may have reached a point in my life where there are more years behind me than ahead of me, so I might as well get things now when I am still healthy enough to enjoy them.

I enjoy making the bread the old fashioned way. Kneading and shaping the dough is relaxing and even therapeutic at times.

I watched my grandmother make fresh bread almost every day when I was a little kid. I always thought it was a lot of hard work. Store bought bread was too expensive in those days. I think buying bread today is probably cheaper than baking your own bread at home. I am glad you find enjoyment in making homemade bread.

I like to know I can slice my homemade bread during a power outage.

A couple years ago, when I restarted making homemade bread machine breads, I got a clear plastic bread holder with a bread slicer guide insert. So we just used our long bread knife to slice off a piece or two as needed.

I gave up on cabbage too many loopers !:he I gave chickens all the plants. Won't grow them again . It's been so hot here tomatoes not doing much lately but now I finally have little guys setting on. I made shade cloth out of old landscape fabric and that has helped. I HATE SQUASH BUGS TOO! I have been checking for eggs like I'm on a treasure hunt. :barnieWill go vertical or raise tubs next year. I have learned a lot this year about male and female flowers:celebrate:weewho knew! I do have some hybrid cukes with all female flowers those are gratifying for sure. Anyway I'm pleased as punch with my scrawny short little tomato starts that have caught up with all nursery raised plants. All in all Ive learned a lot about fertilizer, male flowers and peppers don't want to grow until it's hot as poop. Or chicken armpits :gig. Stay cool all good luck and I did make a spray of peppermint oil and natural soap so it disburses and bugs do hate it. But bees were buzzing in and doing their thing right along with me spraying that was nice. Happy harvest all.

@Acre4Me that creeps me out so. LOL Gotta love nature!

I completely concur. Wide mouth jars are better & I use the pints only for jam or little things. I also tried my sandwich pickles last night, they were good, perfect amount of spice from the habaneros I added. I do wish I could make crisper pickles though. I use pickle crisp & it helps, but I like a good crunch. Oh well.

@Wee Farmer Sarah your little are so pretty! ❤️ So I made the cucumber soup & I am not a big fan. We'll eat it, but I won't make it again. & it was just plain gross cold, but I already thought that was weird before I tried it so there was no way I'd have liked it. :gig

I have 2 loaves of cucumber bread in the oven. :drool

I understand you. for me soup is something to eat warm. unfortunately I have no time for cucumber/zucchini bread.

Back
Top Bottom