What did you do in the garden today?

Sorry, I wish I could control it, but all I can do is give you a heads up. It's going to pick up speed and blow through tonight. Just,...ugh, I'm sorry.
Hoping for the best.
My weather forecast is saying thunderstorms at 1-2am and again at 4am. I haven't listened to the live forecast to see how bad the storms are expected to be though. I'm at the edge of everything in the forecast video you posted (southwest of Chicago). I'm hoping we just get rain. I don't need another tornado scare. Especially since I live in the town where one of the worst tornados in U.S. recorded history hit back in 1990.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Plainfield_tornado

Busy day today.

Garden is looking good, although not all plants are doing great. Pulled out two melon plants that just weren't growing. Planted green beans for fresh eating in their place.

I replanted zucchini and yellow squash seeds since the vine borer got to the previous ones. Added more dirt around the area on the one pumpkin I was growing that got hit with the vine borer - it seems to maybe...possibly...be doing OK. I hope it lives, and puts out more roots where I covered with dirt.

Here is the largest pumpkin, out of 7 developing. Notice the little decorative gourd just beginning to grow just above it!
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.50.51 PM.png

First dry bean harvest. These are bush beans "Ireland Creek Annie"
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.51.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.51.24 PM.png

Here's what the completed cycle of parasitic wasp looks like - very shriveled hornworm, and egg casings are empty! I hope they have found more hornworms to parasitize!
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.51.50 PM.png

We've been having tunnels, etc dug in the yard/garden. Mole or gopher? We weren't sure, but no root vegetables were damaged (so not likely a gopher). So we put out a bit of bait (some jam) into a very fresh pile of dirt. A bit later, we saw movement under the dirt, so took a lucky swing with a pick ax, and got this guy. Since their diet is underground living creatures like grubs and worms, I guess our garden looked appealing.

Back
Top Bottom