What did you do in the garden today?

Nice job @gtaus! My Dad had a tree accident when we were young, I have a healthy respect now.

I used to help my dad cut down trees with his chainsaw. He cut, I hauled. Anyway, he taught me what he could about the chainsaw - both good and bad. He had a lot of bad habits with the chainsaw, but, fortunately, he never had an accident.

@gtaus, glad you got the tree branch down safely. Good job. :thumbsup

Thanks. I was concerned on that hanging widow maker....

I too am happy you got that tree down safely @gtaus. That can be a wee bit risky. I gave up playing with chainsaws when I turned 40. I know a guy who is a professional tree person so if ever I need, I can give him a call.

:old Yeah, if you don't have a "guy" to call, then you have to do it yourself. I'm still able to maintain my 3 acres of wooded property, but there may come a day when I'll need a guy to call, too. I prefer to do most jobs myself, but I am getting better at calling in someone else when the job is beyond my skill level or safety margins.

Again, thanks for all the responses and suggestions on how to take down that widow maker safely. It was a job well done and I am very grateful I don't have that job hanging over my head - literally.

Made my first attempt at canning Spicy Pickled Green Beans today. Looks and smells good. Should give them a taste test in a day or two.

20210728_135406[1].jpg

Dear Wife decided a few years ago that "we" were done canning goods, so we gave all our canning jars, lids, and rings away to my cousin. So I had no jars for these pickled beans. Fortunately, this recipe is for refrigerator pickles and does not need the full canning treatment. I bought a tall jar of applesauce from the Dollar Tree yesterday, emptied the applesauce into another container, and used the empty jar for these spicy pickled beans.

Here is the Youtube video from Martha Stewart on this recipe....

I went to sit the pumpkins up, and had to give up on counting. I saw seven or nine. The vines are just everywhere, and I had to keep walking around, trying to see through leaves and not step on any vines. Some are growing out of the fence too. I moved one vine back through by the entrance because I could. I considered popping off one pumpkin in particular, but I really want a lot of pumpkins more than I want pumpkins I can’t lift.

Anybody have a good way to get rid of squash vibe borer of its already in the plant? Found a dead zucchini plant today that had the larva of the borer in three stalk and evident of the bug on another zucchini plant when I removed a dead leaf.
The larva went to the ducks right away so no pic. Here's a pic of the leaf I removed from the second plant and clear evidence of a borer.
20210728_182754.jpg

Also, what's this moth? It's beautiful, but I want to know if I should prepare to fight off caterpillars after seeing this thing in the yard. It has about a 5-6" span in this pic.
20210728_182354.jpg

ETA: Apparently is a female luna moth and it's larvae prefer broadleaf trees.

Last edited:
Made my first attempt at canning Spicy Pickled Green Beans today. Looks and smells good. Should give them a taste test in a day or two.

View attachment 2776724

Dear Wife decided a few years ago that "we" were done canning goods, so we gave all our canning jars, lids, and rings away to my cousin. So I had no jars for these pickled beans. Fortunately, this recipe is for refrigerator pickles and does not need the full canning treatment. I bought a tall jar of applesauce from the Dollar Tree yesterday, emptied the applesauce into another container, and used the empty jar for these spicy pickled beans.

Here is the Youtube video from Martha Stewart on this recipe....

I always say anything pickled takes at least two weeks before a taste test. Thicker items take even longer.

Today I planted lima beans down where the gopher took out some green beans, I've had traps set for a couple days but no activity. Gonna leave them there in case it comes back for round 2. One year I had a gopher that had a taste for only squash, this year it's beans and the squash next to them is still limping along uneaten. Not getting any 1lb tomatoes this year but I picked my largest watermelon today, 15 pounds :yesss:

A Luna moth!
Thank you for confirming. :)
I guess I should be glad to see a luna mouth. Apparently an parasitic fly was introduced to the U.S. to combat population growth of some invasive moth species and had a negative impact on luna moths. They have become a bit rare I read. They are also one of the largest (if not THE largest) moths found in my area. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and the past 4.5 years in a suburb of the city, and I have never seen one of these moths. Maybe my garden and trees are a haven for this one. It's a nice thought at least.

Back
Top Bottom