What did you do in the garden today?

Yup, silver. BUT sill VERY nice.

First batch of peas in the pressure canner. OK, I'm sold. This might be my primary pressure canner. I don't have to babysit the dumb thing like I do the gas, which can be tricky finding the right balance of pssst-phssst, on the regulator.

I have 14 half pints cooling in there now, and another 6 pints to do before bed.
Tomorrow I'll do up about 6 pounds of green beans.
Then I'll hit the tomato pile.

I need to start doing canned meals and meats on the days I work from home. The canning shelf is bare but for 7 quarts of tomato puree.

Yup, silver. BUT sill VERY nice.

First batch of peas in the pressure canner. OK, I'm sold. This might be my primary pressure canner. I don't have to babysit the dumb thing like I do the gas, which can be tricky finding the right balance of pssst-phssst, on the regulator.

I have 14 half pints cooling in there now, and another 6 pints to do before bed.
Tomorrow I'll do up about 6 pounds of green beans.
Then I'll hit the tomato pile.

I need to start doing canned meals and meats on the days I work from home. The canning shelf is bare but for 7 quarts of tomato puree.
What pressure canner do you use?

Just got fresh 10# bucket of sour cherries from MI (at local farmers market -common to truck them down for same day pick up).

recipes to use these up: your best/favorite recipes appreciated.
Dh likes them in his morning pancake. I have 30# of them in the freezer.

Other uses: Cherry Butter, cherry jam or jelly. Pie, of course. Put in smoothies. Drain them and dehydrate them.

Don't throw out the juice in the bucket; make ice cubes for drinks, add to smoothies and other beverages.

When I make apple butter, I use cherry juice instead of the water called for in the recipe.

Garden Update:

Truckload of garden soil arrived. many bags of peat moss too. This is our task today - spread it out, add peat moss, mix with tiller. We have a source of cow manure (broken down into a moist crumble) we plan to add to it soon.
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.42.31 AM.png

squash bug babies. Yeah, they died.
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.42.48 AM.png

One of the pole beans for drying - "Bingo". Not ready to pick yet.
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.43.13 AM.png

Nice size Birdhouse gourd
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.43.27 AM.png

A "sugar bowl" type that is growing. A nice birdhouse one behind.
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.43.38 AM.png

All the bush beans for drying are beginning to dry out. 5 kinds here.
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.44.22 AM.png

Some musk melons "Sugar Salmon" that we have grown before. Looking yummy!
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.44.50 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom