What did you do in the garden today?

Have you checked Walmart? Also, stores that sell canning supplies sometimes having canning/pickling salt near the canning supplies. TSC should carry it. Even Menards should have it near canning supplies. At Meijer near me they sell it in the same aisle as table salt.

you forgot I live in greece, europe. things here are not as labeled as in US.

I bought 3 pots of strawberries from the same place and at the same time. I ended up with 3 different varieties I have no clue what they are. one might be alpine, but that is just a lucky guess.

btw, I don't think many people here pickle or prepare anything for a long storage. we do have long growing season and fresh veggies all over the year. I also prefer fresh food but I do like pickles in winter and salsa/sauce at any time.

you forgot I live in greece, europe. things here are not as labeled as in US.

I bought 3 pots of strawberries from the same place and at the same time. I ended up with 3 different varieties I have no clue what they are. one might be alpine, but that is just a lucky guess.

btw, I don't think many people here pickle or prepare anything for a long storage. we do have long growing season and fresh veggies all over the year. I also prefer fresh food but I do like pickles in winter and salsa/sauce at any time.
Sea salt

Smoke and humidity have rolled in again.
I'm going to spray the tomatoes with my kick starter formula to boost them through the fall and get some gypsum on them too.

My down the road neighbor had a hip replaced last Thursday. It's a new method of replacement, and she was home the same day, walking around the property with the roller walker for three days, then without since then, and today, I saw her driving herself out of the neighborhood! OMG! Amazing.

I think I'll make grape jelly today.

Have a great day all.

I gave up moon calendar for planting. companion planting as well except a few things like beans and onion/garlic. I followed moon calendar and companion planting and had a poor garden. my mother planted whatever and whenever she felt like and has always had better results than me.

I've noticed that none of my companion planting, with one exception, has worked. I have one tomato that is planted in a giant truck tire. I planted a couple of nasturtiums in the tire which pretty much took over the planter. The tomato had to grow pretty big to finally overcome the nasturtium....however, this seems to have saved it from aphids, thrips, etc...because the tomato is incredibly healthy and strong now with no sign of blight or pests.

@BReeder! have you tried fermentation of your hot peppers?
i’m hoping to get everything ready to go again before ours start ripening.
Not yet. The really hot peppers are still green on the plants. I am considering it though. I still need to get the fermentation lids though or fermentation crocks. I should get the weights to to keep the contents submerged. I don't want to spend a bunch of money though if I decide to never ferment again. Fermented things are not really my taste, but hot sauce and soy sauce (which I would likely never make myself) would be the exceptions.

Not yet. The really hot peppers are still green on the plants. I am considering it though. I still need to get the fermentation lids though or fermentation crocks. I should get the weights to to keep the contents submerged. I don't want to spend a bunch of money though if I decide to never ferment again. Fermented things are not really my taste, but hot sauce and soy sauce (which I would likely never make myself) would be the exceptions.
We started last year and the fermentation crocks are the best option IMO but it can be done in vacuum bags or with the lids as well. We made several variations of sauces but one of mr muddy’s favorites was fermented habaneros which he would eat straight from the jar or put on hamburgers etc. we also pickled some serranos and jalapeños. I wanted to do some wine but I couldn’t get my watermelon to cooperate in my small garden 😭

We started last year and the fermentation crocks are the best option IMO but it can be done in vacuum bags or with the lids as well. We made several variations of sauces but one of mr muddy’s favorites was fermented habaneros which he would eat straight from the jar or put on hamburgers etc. we also pickled some serranos and jalapeños. I wanted to do some wine but I couldn’t get my watermelon to cooperate in my small garden 😭
I am pickling jalapenos already. I considered just cooking the habaneros, chiltepes and scorpion chilies in vinegar and water with onion and garlic and then blending it all and canning it. Fermenting would be interesting though and people claim the taste is better so I'm interested.

I've noticed that none of my companion planting, with one exception, has worked. I have one tomato that is planted in a giant truck tire. I planted a couple of nasturtiums in the tire which pretty much took over the planter. The tomato had to grow pretty big to finally overcome the nasturtium....however, this seems to have saved it from aphids, thrips, etc...because the tomato is incredibly healthy and strong now with no sign of blight or pests.
I do companion planting too. Marigolds throughout the garden (great), carrots with the tomatoes -great bc I HATE watching carrots not grow, so this way I can completely ignore them and will have carrots at end of season -like magic. I did nasturtium this year, but a bit of a fail -since I covered my brassicas, the cabbage moths had to put their hungry babies somewhere, and they chose the nasturtiums. The only untouched nasturtium is surrounded by marigolds.

Back
Top Bottom