What did you do in the garden today?

Growing some Button Mushrooms inside started the kit on September 2nd.
Something different but it's fun to see them pop up and grow!
IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

Morning all. Nice & cool out there, sat outside & drank my tea this am. Took a walk thru the garden, I need to get back out there & pick some peppers, beans & sungolds. Wow did some spider have a busy night, I walked thru like 5 webs walking around. Nothing like a web in your face!

So get this - my girls have ZERO street smarts. That's a hawk sitting on the post. He flew in to grab a chicken, pulled up at the last second because of the netting & then hopped from post to post trying to figure a way in. My dummies followed him around instead of bolting. :barnie
View attachment 2838302

Believe it or not, I've had my best luck with Listerine! I've used Neem oil or a mix of 1 part milk to 2 parts water also. Oh & copper fungicide too, but I prefer something a little less harsh.

It's so crazy, you got none this summer & I have left the spigot on my rain barrel open all summer because we've had so much I don't need to collect it!

My out of control strawberry bed:
View attachment 2838305

A different kind of dahlia:
View attachment 2838306

My friend sent some jibbits for my garden crocs :gig:
View attachment 2838309
Thanks! I thought id heard about the milk but couldn't find anything about it when I looked it up this year. I should've tried it anyway.

Coop is cleaned, poopy butt feathers are trimmed, garden is tended to, dinner is made, 2 weeks worth of soups & lunches made - now it's football time!
I'm not the only one who has to catch and trim a fluffy poopy butt? Joy!
I couldn't dump the not hot jalapenos in the compost so I froze some to use in place of bell peppers, I food processed some for the birds & then some for us & froze them in 1 cup piles to add to soups or something. It may take me 3 years to use em all, but I sure will. :gig
That's a good idea, I have some leftover peppers myself and I haven't made chili in a while.

Canned 12 pints of tomato sauce yesterday (love my new water canner) and just took it easy today. In the last 48 hours we got 4 inches of rain. Sooo happy! :wee

I'm not the only one who has to catch and trim a fluffy poopy butt? Joy!

That's a good idea, I have some leftover peppers myself and I haven't made chili in a while.

Canned 12 pints of tomato sauce yesterday (love my new water canner) and just took it easy today. In the last 48 hours we got 4 inches of rain. Sooo happy! :wee
We got that yesterday was such a relief for us it has been so dry

high temperatures are back, no sign of rain. I stopped watering my garden, it is impossible to save anything now with this heat and warm wind. I will pick up as many hot peppers as I can and trim them. some of them can survive like that. I will prepare soil for the winter crops but I have to figure how to keep 3 escape chickens inside their run.

Does anyone know how to prevent or treat powdery mildew?. My squash and melons this years were a crapshoot with the mildew. I thought i was doing well, but nope.
All I've ever done is trim off leaves that show signs of it, and dispose of them somewhere else besides the compost. Haven't had any so far this season, probably because it's been so dry.
tonight heck of a thunder storm rolled in here hardest storm rolled here in months
Did you lose power? I guess a lot of people in our area did - we lost power only briefly, but lots of small branches blown all over. So unusual this early.
THe luffa are in
I'm jealous! I have two years in a row of failing at luffas, but I still plan to try again next year.

Sadly, we lost one of our favorite hens tonight. Not sure why - she wasn't egg bound, and none of the other chickens show any symptoms. She became lethargic two days ago, and we were treating her by dosing her with sulfa water in a syringe twice per day, but tonight when I got from work and grabbed her meds along with some straw to cuddle around her to keep her warm, she had passed away. She was a wonderful hen, a good layer for several years, and very friendly. We don't know where she came from, she just showed up on our doorstep 3 or 4 years ago, and after a couple weeks of quarantine, she quickly became the boss hen. RIP Roamy, we'll miss her.

Could have just been age. But what a life for a free-roaming, doorstep hen! She was loved.
That's what we're thinking - it's definitely what we want to think. She was probably 5 at the minimum, since she was already laying when she showed up here 4 years ago. She had a leg band, so she might have been some suburbanite's Easter chick, until she got too big and was abandoned on our property? Who knows...she was a lovely, friendly hen and we'll miss her.

Back
Top Bottom