What did you do in the garden today?

Morning all. Nice & cool out there, sat outside & drank my tea this am. Took a walk thru the garden, I need to get back out there & pick some peppers, beans & sungolds. Wow did some spider have a busy night, I walked thru like 5 webs walking around. Nothing like a web in your face!

So get this - my girls have ZERO street smarts. That's a hawk sitting on the post. He flew in to grab a chicken, pulled up at the last second because of the netting & then hopped from post to post trying to figure a way in. My dummies followed him around instead of bolting. :barnie
Screenshot_20210919-085928 (2).png

Does anyone know how to prevent or treat powdery mildew?. My squash and melons this years were a crapshoot with the mildew.
Believe it or not, I've had my best luck with Listerine! I've used Neem oil or a mix of 1 part milk to 2 parts water also. Oh & copper fungicide too, but I prefer something a little less harsh.
my rain collectors are about full already
It's so crazy, you got none this summer & I have left the spigot on my rain barrel open all summer because we've had so much I don't need to collect it!

My out of control strawberry bed:
IMG_20210919_090551637 (1).jpg

A different kind of dahlia:
IMG_20210919_090418067.jpg

My friend sent some jibbits for my garden crocs :gig:
IMG_20210919_091024662.jpg

Last edited:
Fast asleep with tiny claws digging in no less. Kinda universal I suppose.

I hand raised a rooster like that once. He thought I was his mama. Other than being a bit unruly in his teens, he was a good boy. He sat on my shoulder like a parrot. A big parrot! Sadly couldn't keep him though, at the time we lived in city limits.

I allowed her to sleep with me last night. It was the only way to keep her calm and quiet. She stayed snuggled next to me all night. My cat also snuggled up with us. She wouldn't hurt the chick so I wasn't worried.

This morning I took the sock diaper off and put her back in the impromptu brooder so I could get ready for church. She seemed much calmer and wasn't hell-bent on throwing herself at the bars in a panic to get out.

@Sueby I want an out of control strawberry bed just like that! Wow! Love it! Yeah... your birds might have an itty bitty death wish. Sheesh. That or they know you've got them covered. Punny I know.

@TJAnonymous I'm glad the little bit has settled down some for you. Can't say I'd do any different, honestly. The claws digging in amused me, because anytime I put DD into her carrier she grabs my ever-present necklace and hangs on... with tiny little fingernails digging into my sternum. Good thing I chose the leather cord and not a chain when I ordered the pendants. She would have broken anything less sturdy by now.

Grape vine looks like it's already trying to put on new growth. My butt needs to get motivated and water more frequently. Guess I'm in that "blah, blah, don't want to do much right now" stage of recovery. But things need doing darn it!

THe luffa are in. While trimming I accidentally trimmed the mainline. So here's hoping they were ready enough. Sigh.
The garden is raked out and fresh gypsum spread on the planting zones for winter renewal. I load the beds with alpaca manure and compost next week when DH does the poo.
So besides keeping any pop up weeds under control until the freeze, the garden is closed.

Large batch of tomatoes are heading into the mill in about 20 minutes.
All the other tomatoes are now sorted, individually wrapped and in their flats in the cellar.

Hens were out for a bit, but gusty winds had them blowing all over the acreage and then hiding, so in they went.
Have a great day all.

@Sueby I want an out of control strawberry bed just like that! Wow! Love it! Yeah... your birds might have an itty bitty death wish. Sheesh. That or they know you've got them covered. Punny I know.

@TJAnonymous I'm glad the little bit has settled down some for you. Can't say I'd do any different, honestly. The claws digging in amused me, because anytime I put DD into her carrier she grabs my ever-present necklace and hangs on... with tiny little fingernails digging into my sternum. Good thing I chose the leather cord and not a chain when I ordered the pendants. She would have broken anything less sturdy by now.

Grape vine looks like it's already trying to put on new growth. My butt needs to get motivated and water more frequently. Guess I'm in that "blah, blah, don't want to do much right now" stage of recovery. But things need doing darn it!

My human babies would grab my hair like a lifeline... 😂 Now that all of them have grown up and nearly left the nest (DD is the last and she is 17),all my hair is turning grey and falling out by the handful. 😂🙄

In regards to the chick, I'm a bit worried about her right now. She seems to be acting just fine, eating and drinking... But after church I got her out and had her in my lap. She pooped and it looked normal. About 10 minutes later, she tried to poop again. She squatted and seemed to strain a bit. This time it was a bloody poo.... 😕 I'm hoping it isn't anything serious.

THe luffa are in. While trimming I accidentally trimmed the mainline. So here's hoping they were ready enough. Sigh.
The garden is raked out and fresh gypsum spread on the planting zones for winter renewal. I load the beds with alpaca manure and compost next week when DH does the poo.
So besides keeping any pop up weeds under control until the freeze, the garden is closed.

Large batch of tomatoes are heading into the mill in about 20 minutes.
All the other tomatoes are now sorted, individually wrapped and in their flats in the cellar.

Hens were out for a bit, but gusty winds had them blowing all over the acreage and then hiding, so in they went.
Have a great day all.

I put my bumper crop of hot peppers on Nextdoor for free. Had lots of people interested but no one showed up! So today DH went out and picked a bushel. He chopped them up and is fermenting the peppers to make more hot sauce. Wouldn't you know someone JUST messaged me on Nextdoor asking to come out tomorrow after to pick peppers? 😂 You snooze you lose!

My hoop house is STILL overrun by squash bugs....

And it looks like I will get 2 luffa this year although both are still green so not ready to pick but I planted them very late....

@TJAnonymous I sure hope it's nothing & Little Bit will be fine, y'all have had a rough couple days. @Elyrian1 called your chick the little bit - I grew up with that name because I couldn't say Susan Elizabeth - it came out as Tuzy Little Bit so I was dubbed Little Bit. Still to this day they call me that. ❤️

I've never heard of Nextdoor - I'll have to check it out. I'm glad you found a use for the peppers!

I couldn't dump the not hot jalapenos in the compost so I froze some to use in place of bell peppers, I food processed some for the birds & then some for us & froze them in 1 cup piles to add to soups or something. It may take me 3 years to use em all, but I sure will. :gig

Coop is cleaned, poopy butt feathers are trimmed, garden is tended to, dinner is made, 2 weeks worth of soups & lunches made - now it's football time!

@TJAnonymous I sure hope it's nothing & Little Bit will be fine, y'all have had a rough couple days. @Elyrian1 called your chick the little bit - I grew up with that name because I couldn't say Susan Elizabeth - it came out as Tuzy Little Bit so I was dubbed Little Bit. Still to this day they call me that. ❤️

I've never heard of Nextdoor - I'll have to check it out. I'm glad you found a use for the peppers!

I couldn't dump the not hot jalapenos in the compost so I froze some to use in place of bell peppers, I food processed some for the birds & then some for us & froze them in 1 cup piles to add to soups or something. It may take me 3 years to use em all, but I sure will. :gig

Coop is cleaned, poopy butt feathers are trimmed, garden is tended to, dinner is made, 2 weeks worth of soups & lunches made - now it's football time!
Lol! I was little bit too, but to my Papa. It's got a special place in my heart now.

Back
Top Bottom