What did you do in the garden today?

They may have not been stressed enough. Heat is increased with a bit of drought. Once the pepper plants were established this year I didn't bother watering them much and mine turned out HOT!

That is so strange, what do you think caused it? Bad seed?

welcome to the sweet jalapeno's club! I will never ever buy seeds in a discount supermarket again. we were in a lockdown so I had no choice.
Yea MY jalapenos are hot, I hardly watered them at all because we had such a wet summer, one of the top wettest on record. I wonder if the farm I bought them from just had a watering system on a schedule or something. Who knows but I'm seriously thinking of dumping them in the compost. 😡

Penny is too cute! ♥️

Yea MY jalapenos are hot, I hardly watered them at all because we had such a wet summer, one of the top wettest on record. I wonder if the farm I bought them from just had a watering system on a schedule or something. Who knows but I'm seriously thinking of dumping them in the compost. 😡

Penny is too cute! ♥️
Wonder if the planted "not-apenos," a variety that lacks the heat. It would have been a mistake likely though because the market value on them is not that of jalapeños.

Could be. It's the same place I always get my bushels from & I've never had them not hot.

I've decided not to waste my time, in the compost they will go. The other farm I use doesn't have enough for me. Oh well, so much for that. Least I have an extra weekend day now instead of canning!

That's what I thought, thanks. I meant natural sugar alternatives, forgot the word alternative! So nothing like honey or syrup, but I have monk fruit, allulose, stevia, xylitol & not natural at all, splenda. I hate xylitol & DH hates splenda so we'll see what I can come up with - some sort of a mix probably.

I'm sooo disappointed with these jalapenos - they taste like bell peppers! Not even a hint of heat. :he I'm glad I tried a small batch, I'm going to have to add some cayenne to the Christmas ones & haberneros to ours.
Ummm.... be really careful with monk fruit. It can cause some really atrocious gas. My MIL made a pumpkin pie with it and gave it to us, but didn't warn us before we ate it and I nearly had to make DH sleep on the couch for a week!

Ummm.... be really careful with monk fruit. It can cause some really atrocious gas. My MIL made a pumpkin pie with it and gave it to us, but didn't warn us before we ate it and I nearly had to make DH sleep on the couch for a week!
LOL, yea we mix it with a blend of other sweeteners so that doesn't happen. I would NEVER give it to anyone else, even in a blend - that's kinda mean! :lau

Excellent year for gourds, dahlias and CHICKS!
Gourds, CHICK 044 (2).JPG

CHICKS DAHLIAS 018 (2).JPG

I just pulled out my spent tomato vines, about half. The other half has blooms on them, we’ll see what i get. The edamame did not make it, but I did find an eggplant that i dont know what type it is or how it got there. None of my corn survived the critters, but did see a handful of corn plants spread around the yard and even in potted plants. 🤣
Topped off the beds with more dirt and finally got rid of the pile from the front yard thats been there since March. I think they may have sold me too much dirt 🤣. We still have a kiddie pool full, too. The mice left me some buckwheat seeds so I filled the dead spot with that and some actual grass seed and topped it with straw then thoroughly watered it. I hope I did that correctly :oops: Id hate to have over watered.
Does anyone know how to prevent or treat powdery mildew?. My squash and melons this years were a crapshoot with the mildew. I thought i was doing well, but nope.

Poured rain last night, we had 2" by morning and it's really coming down again! All good, my rain collectors are about full already. Only about 20 gallons each but it's better than nothing. Time to clean up the greenhouse for the winter. I'll put a few trimmed peppers inside but I might also try growing a few lettuce this winter as well. Got a big pot of tomato sauce cooking down, these'll be put up in pints.

Back
Top Bottom