What did you do in the garden today?

Finding myself thinking about next year's garden plan already. I haven't even finished harvesting this year and on top next already. I have to figure out which bed I will plant with garlic in a few weeks. Anything else I can plant in the Fall for next year's harvest?
I'll be planting garlic, potato onions (aka multiplier onions), and maybe some more Egyptian Walking Onions, though that bed is pretty full, so maybe not.

If you want some EWOs, I can send you some bulbs. I have plenty. Read up on them; you can get green onions, little pearl-like onions, or shallot shaped onions from them. They can take over a bed by themselves, and it's a "plant it once, have it forever" kind of thing.

I'll be planting garlic, potato onions (aka multiplier onions), and maybe some more Egyptian Walking Onions, though that bed is pretty full, so maybe not.

If you want some EWOs, I can send you some bulbs. I have plenty. Read up on them; you can get green onions, little pearl-like onions, or shallot shaped onions from them. They can take over a bed by themselves, and it's a "plant it once, have it forever" kind of thing.
I would gladly take some EWOs. I don't ever see them for sale here. If you are willing to send some, PM me.

Morning all. Chilly out there, I feel like summer is over for sure & that means the garden is on its last leg. It was in the low 50's.

My chicks aren't shipping till Monday now, they're gonna be chilly!

Time to start thinking about next years layout here too - I need to figure where I'll put the garlic & shallots. I need to sift the compost & start getting that spread & get the straw on the empty beds. It's going to be a busy weekend. I need to pour the pad for the run gate too.

I need to sift the compost & start getting that spread & get the straw on the empty beds.
I need to get on this also. I have a small pile of finished compost.
I collect straw bales after Halloween and Thanksgiving that people throw out after paying $7+ for them to just have them sit in their front yard as decor for a few weeks. Not hating on the Fall decorations, but these people are FOOLS. That straw is useful and I have no shame in taking it when they decide to throw it away.
I also use leaves a lot here. I collect all our leaves and shred them. They make a great layer of mulch that decomposes quickly and adds humus to the soil. We get a lot of maple leaves. And I'm not too shy to take my neighbors' leaves either. One neighbor has a ride on mower with a lawn sweeper. He picks up his leaves and drops them on my lawn in piles so I can put them in the garden and chicken run. Easier for him than loading them in paper bags for Waste Management and free mulch for me - it's a win/win situation.

I do the same @BReeder!! I collect all the leaves I can & I still run out by late spring. I mostly use them in the compost pile as a brown layer & to spread in the chicken run after a snow so the birds can walk on them. I do the same with the straw.

I can't believe people waste straw, I wish I could find people around here willing to give it away! Instead I have to pay for it.

We collect ours and the neighbor's leaves. The neighbors are all older than we are, so we collect theirs onto tarps, and drag to our yard - no fences or elevation in the way. We don't shred, but instead put the leaves onto our large beds and them till in late winter, early spring after they've decomposed a bit.

Need to turn over the compost! But, I'll wait until next week. Lots of rain today through Thursday, busy weekend ahead, so next week everything should be well drained/dried, and temps are nice (not too hot, not too cold).

Back
Top Bottom