What did you do in the garden today?

I planted 100s of daffs when we first moved here. They have multiplied and filled in and it's daffodil land here in the spring. The tulips have been eaten by the critters. I gave up on those.

If you can get a helper, then planting bulbs is a snap. Use a shovel, not a trowel. One person steps on the shovel and wedges a slot open. The other person puts in the bulb. Shovel person removes shovel, bulb person steps on dirt to tamp it down. Move on and repeat.

I didn't have a helper and planted 100 bulbs in less than an hour.
That's how I did the last time I planted and it was almost a joy
Bought a drill auger and soil has to be pretty perfect to dig much. I was disappointed.

Hi everyone! I’ve missed you all here in the gardening thread! My apologies if there are misspelled words, my sight is still adjusting.
I’ve grown several heads of lettuce and some herbs in the hydroponic gardens. Tomorrow I’ll be starting some seeds for transplants to the garden and trying a patio tomato plant in the big hydroponic unit. I’m planning lettuce and broccoli and spinach for transplants.

Outside the Arabian lilac has bloomed, the lemons are turning yellow, the lemon grass has gone berserk! I bought some ginger to grow now that it’s cooling down and I have a good spot to put it in the shade garden.

The ducklings are almost as big as their parents now, and they have some interesting color patterns. Here are a few pics from a couple weeks ago and they’re already bigger!

51A80F10-531F-4559-88E8-8BC289DF5B0B.jpeg
36B7C3D5-F72D-49A4-8F5F-9E17E08DA068.jpeg

I’ll check in again in a few days. Have a great weekend!

Have you cooked any yet, what's the texture like? Shape reminds me of the accidental spaghetti cross I made last year.
You might be right! Skin is tough, I pressure cooked them so they're pretty mushy but now I checked pulp and they are part spaghetti! Yeah I use that squash and dogs love it bonus! I won't cook so long next time. Thanks

There are yellow and some nearly white acorn types . Might be mixed also .
I think you guys are correct with the mixed they are like a spaghetti/ something mixed. I cooked too long so not stringy like spaghetti but the texture us in strings? If that makes sense Thanks my dogs and I love spaghetti squash and so do hens I think.Guess well find out

Armadillo's love to eat sweet potatoes and wiped out my last crop, finding every one of them in a short 15 ft. row, leaving me zero for my work! I discovered all these cone shaped holes circled around every plant, after ignoring the garden a few days! They dug directly down to each sweet potato and left nothing! I could hardly believe they got them all and I carefully dug the entire row and nothing was left! I must have some very fat and health Armadillo's around here! Armadillo's were not native in this state and migrated in, I guess, and have become numerous in recent years. No one hunts/eats them around here. I never saw one in West Tennessee when I was a kid or a younger man. They began to show up around here in the late 1970's and became common by about 1990 or so! I have commonly grown sweet potato about the size of a basketball and many soccer ball size with Georgia jets. That is undesirable for me! The "better" varieties have more uniformity and freakishly large ones are less common, setting potatoes of a more good baking size, more consistently. The only other animal that has eaten my sweet potato from out of the soil is wild hogs, but they are scarce around my place now days,( too suburbanized now) and easy to detect and make good eating , with no hunting season and can be harvested all year. Thank God! The hogs can destroy a large garden in one night! Don't get me wrong! The Georgia jet variety is a good producer and they say does well further north than many other varieties. They just have a high incidence of larger unmarketable tubers. This year the fresh sweet potato are commanding very high retail prices at the big grocery stores and it is a mystery as to why, to me. Harvested by many tons per acre. 99 cents per pound at the Walmart (I bet they paid no more than 20 cents per pound). I guess Walmart needs to gouge the public to pay for their social engineering works, online personal shopping programs and multi Million dollar bonuses paid to the CEO and etc.. All of us need to grow sweet potato more and shop less at the corporate grocery criminals stores !!! A dollar per large baker is something akin to extortion, pay it or starve. I pity the young families just starting out, with low salaries and no large gardens! They are living on the edge of starvation if these trends continue! We had beef stew or soup meat at very low cost and vegetable staples were similar when I was young. The percentage of my income needed for feeding my family was tiny compared to today! My average grocery/household supply bill has almost doubled in the last five years. I got a very tiny Social Security cost of living increase that would be a joke if it were not so devastating to many! Excuse my rant, please! I am just disgusted by where this country is going under corporate leadership and colluding corrupt government officials.

the lowest salaries here start at 350-400 eur per month. most people earn 600-800 eur per month. carrots and onion might cost 0,80 eur/kg (2 lb), a few vegetables cost 1-1,5 eur/kg and mostly the price of fruits and vegetables are 2-3 eur/kg. and they pay it 0,5 - 0,8 eur/kg.

gardening, keeping at least chickens, etc. has become a must.

I planted 100s of daffs when we first moved here. They have multiplied and filled in and it's daffodil land here in the spring. The tulips have been eaten by the critters. I gave up on those.

If you can get a helper, then planting bulbs is a snap. Use a shovel, not a trowel. One person steps on the shovel and wedges a slot open. The other person puts in the bulb. Shovel person removes shovel, bulb person steps on dirt to tamp it down. Move on and repeat.

I didn't have a helper and planted 100 bulbs in less than an hour.
I use a drill with a bulb auger. It's SUPER easy!

Back
Top Bottom