What did you do in the garden today?

Why do you have a place in Minnesota? Hunting or fishing? Summer home? Minnesota never come to mind, but I would love a lake cabin in the woods to go to on weekends. Something drivable though.
LOL! Cold and Snow.... It's only tolerable there in August. :gig
Seriously though, I love MN. (Just to visit though)

Good idea with the tin foil! I must say the light is so bright it's kind of annoying, I'm going to use some tin foil for sure. Mine came with their herb pack & I planted them all but I already googled getting empty pods to grow my own herbs, I hate basil & won't use it & it was 2 of the pods. I will keep an eye out for algae. Thanks so much for the tips!
You're welcome! If you have or come up with any questions I can try to answer them.

I told a (non-chicken, non-gardening) friend that I stopped buying eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and garlic from the store. She asked, sarcastically, how much money that saved me. Well, okay, they aren't big ticket items, but there is a LOT of YUM you can make from them by themselves, or with one or two additional ingredients.

Actually, if I had to buy all those items as organic, then, yeah, it adds up. :)
It doesn't really matter how much it saves. Generally, homegrown tastes WAY better, and you know where it came from and what has been done to it. And, if it helps ease the grocery budget it is helpful. And you enjoy it, so, it's a win-win-win-win-win!
I built my tomato bed inside my hoop house last year. All 3 varieties I had in there were indeterminate (yellow brandywine, bradley, and purple cherokee). They went crazy and took over half the hoop house by the end of the season. So this year I was hoping to stick to more determinate types.... However, I just realized that the packets of seeds I bought from Baker's doesn't tell me what type they are.... 😒

I ordered a Black Strawberry , Blue Cream Berries , Sart Roloise , and Prairie Fire. Anyone actually raised any of these before? I'm curious which type they might be....
That is a problem I have noticed with Baker Creek, it seems like they don't put up as much info as they should. Usually, though, Google can help.

Bacon. Cut in half. Wrap around cherry tomato. Secure with toothpick or put on skewer. Bake in oven 375-400F. 12-15 min. Enjoy.
That sounds delicious!

Having to get a new furnace really threw a wrench in my plans for this year. I was planning on building a garden fence that wouldn't be temporary and getting chickens in the spring, but now with money not being where it was, I will probably build a cheaper and temporary fence, and get chickens and build their coop in the fall (or possible even next spring). I do want to get the supplies needed for canning, but that will probably have to wait a few months. It's kind of a bummer, but maybe it's for the best because everything will be spaced out and not thrown on me all at once (especially with a puppy coming in March).

You're welcome! If you have or come up with any questions I can try to answer them.

It doesn't really matter how much it saves. Generally, homegrown tastes WAY better, and you know where it came from and what has been done to it. And, if it helps ease the grocery budget it is helpful. And you enjoy it, so, it's a win-win-win-win-win!

That is a problem I have noticed with Baker Creek, it seems like they don't put up as much info as they should. Usually, though, Google can help.

That sounds delicious!

Having to get a new furnace really threw a wrench in my plans for this year. I was planning on building a garden fence that wouldn't be temporary and getting chickens in the spring, but now with money not being where it was, I will probably build a cheaper and temporary fence, and get chickens and build their coop in the fall (or possible even next spring). I do want to get the supplies needed for canning, but that will probably have to wait a few months. It's kind of a bummer, but maybe it's for the best because everything will be spaced out and not thrown on me all at once (especially with a puppy coming in March).
I built my garden fence with landscape timbers for posts, 2x3s for supports (horizantals) and 4ft hog wire with chicken wire attached along the bottom to keep rabbits from squeezing through the hog wire. It wasn't all that expensive to build this way. The landscape timers also tend to go on sale in the Spring, so keep an eye out. I paid the full price which is still just $4 or $5 per 8 foot timber. I only needed one every 8 feet because I used 8 foot 2x3s. The 2x3s are cheaper than 2x4s and you can even find them treated at either Home Depot or Menards - normally they are just available as untreated but one of these stores carries them treated I just forgot which one it is.

Lake cabin . Part of what my parents had . 10 hour trip . So not a weekend retreat .
10 hours isn't bad for a week long get away though. That's the drive to my in-laws' place in middle TN. I've worked from home for nearly two years now. I would have got internet ran or brought a mobile hot spot and worked lived in a cabin for weeks at a time.

We had a neighbor who recently moved out of state that had a camper. When Covid had them working from home they added satellite internet to the camper and would disappear for 2-4 weeks at a time during the summer and winter breaks while the kids were out of school. That's exactly what I would do if we had a camper or cabin.

LOL! Cold and Snow.... It's only tolerable there in August. :gig
Seriously though, I love MN. (Just to visit though)
I'm there every few months for work. When they told me we were having company meetings in February and I'd have to fly in for them, the look on my face had to be priceless.... 😂 I was like "are you punking me? People don't seriously go to Minnesota ON PURPOSE in February, do they?"

I sent an inquiry to Baker and this was their reply below. Would have been nice if they had advertised this information on their website or in their catalog...

thanks for reaching out; sorry for any inconvenience. The vast majority of heirloom tomatoes are indeterminate. So in our listings, we only mention the matter on determinate types--if it's a determinate variety, we say so in the descriptions. If we make no mention, you're looking at an indeterminate variety.

All the types you listed are indeterminate types.

Back
Top Bottom