What did you do in the garden today?

Over three days I have gone up and down the stairs 107 times. I am almost done with the room switch and decorating. Countless trips up and down a ladder, and a full paint job. PHEW. I'm excited to have my weaving studio all on the same floor and in the same room now. (Still need to build a dolly extension and get the big loom out the back door and up the hill to the front of the house after the snow melts.)
While out yesterday I purchased the materials for the rest of the greenhouse ribs and will make those tomorrow and get them up.
Walking onions - love the sound of it. As if they are dissatisfied with your gardening skills, they'll decide to leave and call an Uber.

I too love the ants.

D9B1D69E-2743-42A0-BF2D-9BEF31021B1D.png

I guess I’m either hard-headed, or don’t take failure well. Unlike @BReeder! my garden does not want to grow cucumbers. They start, then die of something. We’ve tried several different beds -good thing we still have more beds to try that have never grown cucumber. At this point, I’m up to approx 15 varieties as a guess that I’ve tried. This makes 5 more varieties.

These are all supposed to resist diseases.

CARROTS!
B6CB36AE-4B54-4194-80DB-BD8B0B2F5EAF.jpeg

Here are the new packets of various carrot seeds. So far no issues growing carrots, they just take forever. Spouse wants more carrots this year, so several will be new to us.

My walking onion order came in today .. Giving them a drink then plant them
You have all convinced me to try the walking onions. I think I'll plant them in the sunchoke bed and let them slug it out.
Umm, so my seeds came in

Did I buy too many?
NEVAR!!!! Seriously, I'm going to go through my leftover seeds and will use what I can but nothing can match the joy of ordering and receiving those packets of your tried & true varieties mixed with the new types that have caught your eye and imagination.
This comment will date me bit but they remind me of cooties that I had as a kid .
I loved my cooties and those were the old fashioned kinda creepy looking ones.
Cooties.jpg

They remind me of a particularly scary episode of Outer Limits that featured big ants with human faces that gave me nightmares for years. But when I had these cooties as a kid, had not seen that episode. Fortunately...

Except for moving the big loom and building its dolly, the weaving studio is DONE. I have just enough paint to paint the one wall in the kitchen that needs it, I HOPE. LOL.

Putting hoop house ribs on the schedule for tomorrow.
It's NICE out, but WINDY, and the melting snow is making it damp and chilly.
Must water garlic, MUST. LOL. And the MUMs.

Lost most of my mustard a couple days ago. First time in a long time I have even planted mustard. For years I have just let my mustard go to seed in the spring and by the time winter rolls around, I have WAY more mustard volunteering than I can use. And it's all over the garden. I usually just let it grow 'cause I only use about 1/4 of the garden in the winter. I have never lost much of it due to cold.
This year I have planted a healthy stand of cover crop. I actually bought seed and planted a row. Wanted it to look like a planted row and not a jungle so I have kept them thinned out and trimmed up. Had 15 plants lookim good with leaves about 1&1/2 foot long. Temps got down to 34 F according to the weather man and now have only 3 plants left So sad. We had a hard freeze (for us) down to 17 F last year and lost almost nothing in the "wild" mustard patch. I'm bummed!

I have a special drawer in the garage fridge that I've kept seeds in for years. Don't know how old some of 'em have been there. Never had a problem with them growing. Have had packs of white & red radishes for for several years just 'cause we don't eat them much.
I will plant about a 2' row of the each and replant as I use. keeps me goin for months. This year they did not grow. Looked @ the packages and they said they were packaged for the 2013 season. Thinkin about plantin everything in the goat pen this spring and start all over.

Lost most of my mustard a couple days ago. First time in a long time I have even planted mustard. For years I have just let my mustard go to seed in the spring and by the time winter rolls around, I have WAY more mustard volunteering than I can use. And it's all over the garden. I usually just let it grow 'cause I only use about 1/4 of the garden in the win
Wow, freezing weather just makes the wild mustard here more determined, I'm sorry you lost yours. And I feel kinda silly that I forgot to harvest our wild mustard greens myself but you just reminded me. :)

I find it hard to believe no walnut is available . What dimensions . I milled one 2 years ago . I think it was 6x6 or 6x8 and 66 inches long with one live edge . Try Craig's list . Sometimes guys with a portable mill list on there . Look for sawyers with a portable mill . Gosh even oak stained would be better . Walnut stain can be diluted to get a lighter color . Over a hundred years ago my Grandparents stained pine woodwork to walnut . Homemade stain from walnut hulls .This is a bookcase headboard . Oak stained cherry .View attachment 2962506
Yeah, overall I'm getting a little irritated with this contractor. He started out great... I tried really hard to be overly reasonable about delays and little things that weren't perfect. He's a nice guy, cheap, and I was hoping he'd come back in the spring to work on a few more projects I have... But now it feels a bit like he just doesn't give a crap anymore and is just slapping things together to get done regardless of whether it's quality work or not. He came recommended to me by the company that actually installed the fireplace itself... So you'd think he has experience in this sort of thing. He should have known that a live edge mantel needs sanded, treated, and sealed BEFORE you put it up. DH was saying he doesn't think they even planed it... Just brought it straight from the mill and slapped it on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom