What did you do in the garden today?

I forgot I had bought potatoes (to eat). they sprouted. I am tempted to plant them in the garden.
Go for it! They'll grow! What's cool about potatoes is they are basically clones when planted from tubers. So you can expect to harvest potatoes similar to what you plant even if they are store bought hybrids of some sort. Size may vary depending on growth, but otherwise they'll be what you expect.

I inventoried my seeds and made a list. I'm also changing where I plant some things this time. For instance, I'm moving my butternut squash. Last year I got -0- for the first time ever, so maybe a change of scenery for them will help.

Besides corn and beans (the three sisters), does anyone have any recommendations for what to grow near b-nut squash?

I inventoried my seeds and made a list. I'm also changing where I plant some things this time. For instance, I'm moving my butternut squash. Last year I got -0- for the first time ever, so maybe a change of scenery for them will help.

Besides corn and beans (the three sisters), does anyone have any recommendations for what to grow near b-nut squash?
I grew pumpkins in the same area as my butternut last year. Any other winter squash would work just the same. The vines crossed each other and all, but at harvest time all the vines were cutting pulled and cut so it didn't matter. We leave them on the vine until harvest. If the vines die back and dry, the squash and pumpkins simply begin to cure before we pick them which is a good thing in my book. Tall sunflowers work instead of corn for height and you can eat them later. Jerusalem artichokes would also work, just know that they have an invasive tendency because any tubers left in the ground may sprout and grow the next year.

My potatoes were planted next to my squash with deer fencing in between. The fencing helped keep the squash off the potato rows so I could harvest potatoes without damaging squash vines. It worked well enough. I did have to train climbing vines back down into the squash patch so they didn't climb down the other side into the potato rows, but that was easy enough.

A cucumber trellis could be planted at the edge of the squash patch. Of course some squash vines might get longer than expected and climb as well, but it shouldn't hurt. I say at the edge though so you can access the cucumber trellis throughout the summer for picking.

My potatoes were planted next to my squash with deer fencing in between
For a few years, I've planted potatoes next to squash. Well, maybe 3-4 feet between the beds, and probably 6-8 feet from a potato plant to the squash hill. I like having them there, as it's a big flat area and I can let the vines sprawl, and dig the potatoes without messing up a raised bed (my RBs are just mounded). I also liked having the squash where they were, as there are some huge boulders about 8-12" down. The squash can grow there, but not root crops.

I just read that taters and squash shouldn't be planted next to each other, so I was wondering if their "not getting along" is why I had fewer potatoes and zero squash last year.

For a few years, I've planted potatoes next to squash. Well, maybe 3-4 feet between the beds, and probably 6-8 feet from a potato plant to the squash hill. I like having them there, as it's a big flat area and I can let the vines sprawl, and dig the potatoes without messing up a raised bed (my RBs are just mounded). I also liked having the squash where they were, as there are some huge boulders about 8-12" down. The squash can grow there, but not root crops.

I just read that taters and squash shouldn't be planted next to each other, so I was wondering if their "not getting along" is why I had fewer potatoes and zero squash last year.
Why did it say they shouldn't be planted next to each other? Is there a reason in what you read for that statement?

Why did it say they shouldn't be planted next to each other? Is there a reason in what you read for that statement?
"Raspberry, tomato, cucumber, squash and pumpkin are more susceptible to developing blight if planted with potatoes. Carrots, asparagus, fennel, turnip, onions and sunflowers can stunt the growth and development of potato tubers."

I highlighted "onions" because I've read other places that they are a good companion for potatoes. 🤷‍♀️

I planted potatoes in what had been a raspberry bed, and they looked great, then died from the bottom up.

I think I'll plant two hills of b-nut, then a wide row of dill, then the potatoes. Dill is supposed to be friendly with both, so maybe it can be the peacemaker.

I tilled 3,000 sq. ft of my pasture into submission in preparation for Spring planting,

20220117_154327.jpg
20220117_154910.jpg

as long as I had the trailer on the truck to move the loom 100 yards uphill, I went ahead and drove to town to buy the lumber, 12ft boards for the hoop house. It was 52 degrees today. It will be 60 tomorrow. And Wednesday? Our high will be 12. LOL.
So I'll work on the hoophouse tomorrow and let the hens play outside for the afternoon.
The weaving studio is DONE (minus a wall basket I can't find for storage).

as long as I had the trailer on the truck to move the loom 100 yards uphill, I went ahead and drove to town to buy the lumber, 12ft boards for the hoop house. It was 52 degrees today. It will be 60 tomorrow. And Wednesday? Our high will be 12. LOL.
So I'll work on the hoophouse tomorrow and let the hens play outside for the afternoon.
The weaving studio is DONE (minus a wall basket I can't find for storage).
Getting things done I see! Good work.
I wish I could say the same. I've been very drowsy lately. I have little motivation to get projects done. I think it's just the cold, dark days of winter weighing on me. I need to get caught up indoors before Spring when I'll have all sorts of work to get done.

Back
Top Bottom