What did you do in the garden today?

Not gardening yet, but I have a pile of bones in the kitchen to blend into a slurry and add to the garden beds to supplement phosphorous and calcium. First time doing this, but the logic makes sense to me. It's just bone meal that isn't dry.

The bones are from turkey, duck and chicken. I had them in bags in the freezer and finally pulled them out yesterday and made stock. I ran them in the pressure cooker 5 or 6 times and made about 4 gallons of stock that is now in my freezer in 6 gallon sized zip bags. I didn't season this stock, not even salt, because I knew I was going to use the bones for the garden. I figure we can add herbs, spices and salt when we cook with the stock later.

OK fellow gardeners.... I have a question about those of you who are very experienced with seed starting. How many seeds do you start of any given variety? I made 2 seed starter cups for each variety of tomatoes. That seems like a precarious amount. If the starts die or fail to germinate, I don't have hardly any extras started to fall back on... But it also seems like a waste to start a bunch of plants if I only want 2 or 3 active plants of each variety. I can't bring myself to chuck out perfectly good plants and I would have no one to give the extras to...

OK fellow gardeners.... I have a question about those of you who are very experienced with seed starting. How many seeds do you start of any given variety? I made 2 seed starter cups for each variety of tomatoes. That seems like a precarious amount. If the starts die or fail to germinate, I don't have hardly any extras started to fall back on... But it also seems like a waste to start a bunch of plants if I only want 2 or 3 active plants of each variety. I can't bring myself to chuck out perfectly good plants and I would have no one to give the extras to...
You can plant 2 or 3 seeds power cup. Just pinch the extras after they sprout to leave 1 plant per cup.

For a few years, I've planted potatoes next to squash. Well, maybe 3-4 feet between the beds, and probably 6-8 feet from a potato plant to the squash hill. I like having them there, as it's a big flat area and I can let the vines sprawl, and dig the potatoes without messing up a raised bed (my RBs are just mounded). I also liked having the squash where they were, as there are some huge boulders about 8-12" down. The squash can grow there, but not root crops.

I just read that taters and squash shouldn't be planted next to each other, so I was wondering if their "not getting along" is why I had fewer potatoes and zero squash last year.

it is about blight why potatoes and squash/pumpkins should not be planted together.

Back
Top Bottom