What did you do in the garden today?

I plant a lot. I make beds that are 3ftx10ft. I plant the potatoes along each side about 18in apart and a single row down the middle staggered between the outside ones. It's probably a total of 16-18 seed potatoes. I usually get a while 3lb bag of seed potatoes planted in a bed. I did 3 beds like this last year. I'm still eating the potatoes. I would say I average 5-6 potatoes per planted seed potato. Some are smaller and some are bigger. I don't count the teeny tiny potatoes, but those are my favorite to eat. I fry them whole when they are the size of a dime or penny.
Thanks! That definitely helps!

Cooper's hawk, maybe?
That’s what I was thinking....
Mr. Dog has covid (vaccinated, no bad symptoms, just raspy throat and congestion.)
I also tested positive this Friday but I feel fine! My mom tested today and she was positive as well. (we are all unvaccinated) so we are all also staying at home but luckily we’re doing fine!

Thanks! That definitely helps!
I’d say similar-you get 5-6 decent sized potatoes per plant. Sometimes more. I plant in a 4 ft wide bed, this past year I only planted 2 rows in this bed, rather than staggering. I like it a little better at harvest and when I was scouting the plants for potato beetles to have 2 rows vs staggering.

Those of you who grow potatoes, how many do you plant? And (if you can remember), how many potatoes do you generally get per plant?

I would say I average 5-6 potatoes per planted seed potato. Some are smaller and some are bigger.
I planted 3 different kinds last year: Kennebec, Caribou, and Elba, 14 of each.

Elba was far and away the winner. Most plants had 3-4 good to big sized tubers (fist size or bigger) and several small to little ones too.

Kennebec was second best with fewer big ones and more of the littler ones. They're also sprouting first, of the 3 types.

I won't be planting Caribou next year, as they did make the biggest potatoes, but very few. They also have more russeting on the skin, making them hold a lot more dirt and grit. Out of the 14 hills, I got about 8 what I call "restaurant baked potato" sized spuds.

This is brilliant. Better than my system of using yoghurt containers right-side-up, this makes replanting faster and damage-free! I'll be trying it this year, I already have the containers and plenty of lids!
My only issue with this method is putting off the bottoms without cutting myself.
Why is this better than gently dumping them? How would they get damaged?
My husband and son both have Omicron. This is their 2nd infection with Covid. We all just had Delta over Labor Day weekend! My daughter hasn't managed to catch it either time even though she's been in a household with 3 active cases both times we've had it.
How did she manage that?! Lol. How do you know which one you have? We all managed to get it right after new years and we’re all vaccinated. Kiddo brought it home from work. Mine was just awful. I wouldnt wish it on anyone. Kiddo wasn't great but not too terrible and hubs was mostly ok, just stomach symptoms ans mild congestion.

When I wrote down all of my seeds, I realized I was missing some I needed. So, I ordered a few more seeds from Baker Creek.
Jalapeno, Wilson's Sweet Watermelon, Lavendar, Basil, Short Stuff Sunflowers. Also got Cushaw Squash, I don't know if I'll be able to plant it where I was thinking or not, but I'd like to have it on hand. :D

When I wrote down all of my seeds, I realized I was missing some I needed. So, I ordered a few more seeds from Baker Creek.
Jalapeno, Wilson's Sweet Watermelon, Lavendar, Basil, Short Stuff Sunflowers. Also got Cushaw Squash, I don't know if I'll be able to plant it where I was thinking or not, but I'd like to have it on hand. :D
I got to do the same

My only issue with this method is putting off the bottoms without cutting myself.
Why is this better than gently dumping them? How would they get damaged?

How did she manage that?! Lol. How do you know which one you have? We all managed to get it right after new years and we’re all vaccinated. Kiddo brought it home from work. Mine was just awful. I wouldnt wish it on anyone. Kiddo wasn't great but not too terrible and hubs was mostly ok, just stomach symptoms ans mild congestion.
She's a teenage girl so naturally spends most of her time in her room... 😂 I assume that is how she has generally avoided it but youth are supposed to be at least risk anyway. The only true way to know which variant you have is through genetic sequencing. Our doctor determined our variants based on symptoms (they present differently for most variants) and also based upon whatever strain is prevalent in the region. While being sick is no fun, the Omicron variant has been a cake walk compared to Delta! That was the sickest I've been in my entire adult life...

Back
Top Bottom