What did you do in the garden today?

Dried edible flowers - I pick a few for a tiny bouquet each day and then press them in a book before they wilt.

Sometimes I eat them fresh in a salad or in PB&J sandwich (where I can't see them but I know they're there).

Attachments

• 20220518_125611.jpg
    20220518_125611.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 1
Well I got more fertilized soil around the tomato plants. Added a thin layer of the fine pine shavings and watered it just a tad bit in case we don't get the rain we've been predicted to get all week...
Grandson helped me sew the cantaloupe seeds several days ago...we got 2 outta 6 that came up so far! 1 definitely got taken out by something...u could see where it lit just pulled it up root n all!
Chicken run is very quiet with 5 babies, 1 roo and 1 pullet sold last night. I enjoy em all so much and just want em all! But not doable.

The plant will keep producing male flowers.

Can I give you two pH points from my blueberry bed? :lau I just hope I can lower the pH before the plants say the heck with it and die. I'm doing what I can with peat moss and soil acidifier.

I just assumed that all the oak leaves and coffee grounds were making/keeping the soil acidic. Nope. Got a pH meter. It's about 6.8. Poor blueberries....!
Oooo...yeah, if only you were close enough that we could swap soil! :) I'll take some of yours and you can have some of mine. If we mixed them together, maybe we'd average out, eh?

I have a bunch of BOSS seedlings and now I can't decide where I should put them. I do have a few spaces between my tomatoes and onions but I did that last year and the sunflowers fell over my tire planters due to wind. Became a huge annoyance. I don't really have anyway to stake them up back there.... I'm also worried if I plant them there, they will block the sun for the tomatoes because they (the tomatoes) wouldn't get the morning sun anymore.

Well, grrr.... Maybe I should move them to the west side of the hoop house. I have nasturtiums and dill over there, but I could squeeze them in between.... Not sure how either of those would fair next to sunflowers though?

I have a bunch of BOSS seedlings and now I can't decide where I should put them. I do have a few spaces between my tomatoes and onions but I did that last year and the sunflowers fell over my tire planters due to wind. Became a huge annoyance. I don't really have anyway to stake them up back there.... I'm also worried if I plant them there, they will block the sun for the tomatoes because they (the tomatoes) wouldn't get the morning sun anymore.

Well, grrr.... Maybe I should move them to the west side of the hoop house. I have nasturtiums and dill over there, but I could squeeze them in between.... Not sure how either of those would fair next to sunflowers though?
I've heard that sunflowers can inhibit growth of other plants (like black walnut tree has inhibiting effect, which I've had experience with). I've had butternut squash grow just fine last year next to them though - so I don't know exactly what they don't get along with...so maybe research/polling is needed.

I've never grown sunflowers. I should.

I was wondering why I was only getting 4 or 5 eggs a day. Brats. 1 started it & got the other in on it. I check the coop daily, but this is right next to the door so I never stuck my head in far enough to see they were laying in the corner. I stuck a bag of sand there - good luck now Prue! :tongue
IMG_20220519_131643780.jpg

Of course then I dropped the basket & broke 4 of them. :he

Back
Top Bottom