What did you do in the garden today?

It's finally storming.... A pretty wicked one too. Lots of wind, lightning, and thunder. Love these summer storms! Temp will drop like a lead weight afterwards with lows in the upper 50s. The only thing that worries me are the 3 young chicks that still haven't been trained to go inside a coop. We've been trying for 4-5 days but they haven't figured it out yet. They are fully feathered and around 8-10 weeks old or so. Each night they bed down with one of my Pekins who has decided to nest in a child's playhouse... So I guess they are partially sheltered but not really well. Oh well, there's no getting them tonight. They will just have to hunker down together to keep warm and dry.

I've got some lettuce and some more radishes ready to harvest. The gardens are really starting to fill out, I love watching it all explode into life 😍.
Pictures please!
Next Friday is my birthday. I told DH that I wanted new poop boards for my birthday... The look he gave me in response was priceless.... :lau Only you guys would understand....
Totally get it and you'll be so pleased with how much easier it makes daily coop management.

Pulled out 2 of the lingonberry bushes, they never did well and I'd rather have more blueberries anyway. Weeded the rest of that bed and a couple others. Pulled about a third of the various greens to make room for the tomatoes and zucchinis. Anyone ever plant summer squash close to tomatoes? If so, how'd it work out? The ladies have made out like bandits with all the weeds, spent greens, and lawn trimmings being tossed into their run. Dumped 2 bins of rabbit poop and litter in the raised beds and a few pots. I think I'll try to get the green compost tea decanted and ready to use tomorrow. The weather has been awesome the last couple of days, dry and low 60s. Perfect weather for yard work. Overcast now but we're not expecting rain for a week or so. There's a metric butt-ton of pots to empty and get ready for the peppers and a lot of seedling peppers to go in said pots. Should be a great week!

Got to 68 here short pants
We almost never see over 75. Did get the garden planted tires and pots .. Did get 3 new huge pots from Costco filled with lettuce of 3 kinds, spinach, mustard green, arugula and Swiss chard
011.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg

Last edited:
Morning. Another hot, humid one here. Did the morning rounds & now I'm hiding in the ac. I have to make a couple of casseroles & things that don't take pans to eat - I'll be without a kitchen for a few weeks & no way to do dishes. It's going to stink, but in the end I'll have a much more efficient kitchen. With a dishwasher & a fan vented to the outside! :yesss:

I don't really do coupons either - as @Wee Farmer Sarah they're generally for processed things we don't eat. I do shop at BJs & use the coupons on the app tho, they do have good ones. I have no idea how much I spend on groceries, I bulk buy everything from cow to laundry detergent. If it's a good sale I buy lots of it, vacuum seal & freeze it. I use delivery on the things like creamer, cheeses & veggies (when I don't have my own) & I do that maybe every 3 weeks.

I got my new garden bed on wheels done, DH put it together for me to save my back & I water sealed it. Going for dirt today & will seed more lettuce. But lettuce in the garden is full on being harvested, it's nice to not have to buy it again. & not worry about recalls.

I'm down to a half of a gallon ziplock of green beans left from last year, pretty good timing. My beans are starting to climb, shouldn't be too long till I can pick.

Got to 68 here short pants
We almost never see over 75. Did get the garden planted tires and pots .. Did get 3 new huge pots from Costco filled with lettuce of 3 kinds, spinach, mustard green, arugula and Swiss chard View attachment 3118144View attachment 3118145View attachment 3118146View attachment 3118147
I lived further north as a kid. If I wanted to grow tomatoes they needed to be in tire stacks and a Wall-o-water to even have a chance of producing. Just wasnt warm enough and not quite enough sun. More often then not there would still be residule snowbanks on the northside of the buildings well into June.

It took years, but I finally got DH to stop buying/asking for Jif peanut butter about two months ago. Quite timely. I've switched a store brand that doesn't use any sugar or hydrogenated oils (ick). The primary reason he liked Jif was because he could leave it sitting at room temperature and it wouldn't separate. The brand I found won't separate in the fridge, and is still spreadable at fridge temps. Finally converted him.

Worked on filling the garden beds a bit yesterday until I got too tired of shoveling to keep going. Then organized the pantry a bit (more to go). Had to turn on the heat this morning for a little bit! 54 outside.

Back
Top Bottom