What did you do in the garden today?

Morning. I've got traps out for the chippies & am gonna take out the squirrels with the pellet gun. I'm over them destroying everything in the garden. I took the hardware cloth off the cosmos starts to put on the new lettuce bed & went to get a new piece for the cosmos, literally gone 5 minutes, when I came back a squirrel had torn up every single start. :barnie I've had such a hard time getting them going, I'm so mad. They shall die now too like the carpenter bees (7 in the trap now) & the slugs. :mad:

View attachment 3119256

Was gone until 5 pm and came home to 2 new planters made by husband from walnut he got for free from a friend. He spent A LOT of time removing the bark over the last couple days, then cutting and sanding. I thought he was making a bench, and he let me believe that-lol. Now they have herbs in them!
Beautiful! I would love those!

When I harden plants off, I put them in my extra large dog crate and then cover the crate with sheets. I can take the sheet off for longer and longer times to get the plants used to real sunshine.
Thank you for that - what a great idea. I was so sick of carrying mine in & out every day!

Its amazing what you can do with scrap fence, scrap poles and zipties. 😁
That's how my beans looked for years! & it worked perfectly! Then I needed all the scraps to keep the squirrels out so I ended up with cattle panels as trellises this year.

I'm on a huge cattle panel kick, I have 2 covered in the chicken runs, 3 as trellises in the garden & another cut up as supports for the peppers. They are just so handy dandy! :gig

Freddy's is really good at only sending me coupons that I'd actually use, there are advantages to letting them track your purchases plus I get money off on gas.
I love Freddy's, they personalize the coupons according to what I buy, and the gas rewards are a big help. Makes me sad that some of the ones they send are still for dog things we don't need any more (we lost Lily Jan. 31) but now they are starting to send cat coupons for naughty kitty.
Our garden Center gives away free racks of pallets. My husband and I have been collecting them to make garden boxes.
The more I looked at them the more I could see the potential as a chicken coop! So I talked him into helping me start the construction of one.
Your coop looks like it will turn out amazing! As a fellow freebie scrounger, you're close to my heart! I love scrounging free things and designing new, useful things out of them. Our latest find was an igloo doghouse our neighbor set out by the side of the road, perfect to put in our roosters' yard, since big Loki took over the existing doghouse and the two little brothers were scared to go in there with him.

My workplace is undergoing a big construction project, so as the machinery gets put together, the crates they came in get put into the recycling area, which I check daily and grab what I want. Most recently, I got two 4'x7' crates, with plywood panels for the sides, but the floors are made of 4'x4's and sturdier than the floors in our house. My plan is to make a small barn for goats by bolting the two floors together, making the walls out of back-to-back plywood panels with styrofoam sheets in between (also grabbed out of the recycling bin) for insulation, then I'll have to buy roofing panels, hopefully off craigslist or fb marketplace.
Every day when I walk through the warehouse from my office to the exit, I drool over the many different-sized crates and try to plan what I can use them for, and the right day to bring my trailer.
We had a nice-weather weekend, and I got my 4 new raised beds leveled, filled with 1/2 wood chips, more chips in between the beds to fill in dips and level the whole area, and two out of the four topped up with composted horse manure. After 5 hours, my arms felt like noodles and the compost was damp and heavy, so I didn't get the last two beds done. Doesn't help being old and slow!
I have to work for the next 12 days straight, so my hope is to just get my tomatoes, luffas and cabbages in the ground (they're more than ready) and direct seed melons, cukes, zucchini and butternut.
Then in June, my sister and I are meeting up and flying to Florida to finally see our Mom! It's been two years for me, and even more for my sister due to covid (sis lives in Canada) We're going to take Mom see the new Downton Abbey movie, all three of us love DA.

I was checking my onion beds yesterday. I have several bulbs that are still small but halfway out of the ground. Should I pull these even though they are small? Or add more soil to cover them again?
Onions grow mostly above the ground, leave them unless you want to use them. 😊 When I harvest most of the onion is above ground, probably 3/4 above. & I'm talking regular onions, like a yellow or spanish type.

Heres a pic, not mine but stollen from Google...
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.40.10 AM.png

the crates they came in get put into the recycling area, which I check daily and grab what I want. Most recently, I got two 4'x7' crates, with plywood panels for the sides, but the floors are made of 4'x4's and sturdier than the floors in our house.
Great score! I try to get DH to bring home stuff like that but he has no tolerance, for some reason. It took me forever to get him to bring home enough of the oversized pallets for the compost! 🙄

Thanks for the information @Sueby !

Our weather has been so upside down. It went from freezing to 90s and now it's back to "cool."
Screenshot_20220523-084130_Transparent clock & weather.jpg

At least my lettuce will be happy. I noticed some of the salad greens had bolted. Speaking of... Last year I threw some extra salad greens seeds in the corner of my raspberry bed. They grew pretty well and I harvested them until the raspberries & weeds covered them up. I forgot about it. Then last week I was weeding the raspberries and discovered a beautiful lettuce plant that has resprouted! And here I thought lettuce was an annual! 😂

Thanks for the information @Sueby !

Our weather has been so upside down. It went from freezing to 90s and now it's back to "cool."
View attachment 3119839

At least my lettuce will be happy. I noticed some of the salad greens had bolted. Speaking of... Last year I threw some extra salad greens seeds in the corner of my raspberry bed. They grew pretty well and I harvested them until the raspberries & weeds covered them up. I forgot about it. Then last week I was weeding the raspberries and discovered a beautiful lettuce plant that has resprouted! And here I thought lettuce was an annual! 😂
Our weather has been crazy like that too. Winter straight into summer, now back to spring

Just walked down to the garden for a quick peek... Anyone else check their garden daily? Or am I just overly obsessed? 😂

Anyway, found aphids out in force on the tomatoes inside the hoop house. Grrrr.... Even double netted, they still managed to get inside! Time to break out the insecticidal soap....

View attachment 3120011
Use a dish soap and water mix spray them it will kill aphids.

Back
Top Bottom