What did you do in the garden today?

Okay the lightning is cool to look at, but I would have been hiding in my house and well away from windows. Everything shocks me all the time, so when there are electrical storms my butt hides.

The gentleman who took that really cool picture was in his car on the I-430 bridge....but yeah, I hear you. That storm is the same one that took down my dogwood tree. My daughter has her own apartment. She was sitting on the covered balcony watching it light up the sky. She has a metal plate in her neck from a riding accident last year. As she watched the lightning, she started to wonder maybe she was now a human lightning rod. She went inside after that disturbing thought.... 😂

Got the lavender I bought planted!
I have one growing in a 2 gallon pot. It drinks a lot of water and needs to be fed once a week. I think this type of plant can stay alive for a long time. I will do a search to see how long they live.

Okay found it, Lavenders are perennial sub shrubs that can live for 10 -15 years with the optimal care. In cold climates, non English lavenders will only last a year if left outside due to frost. French lavenders tend to be much more then short lived then English lavenders with 5 years considered a long life span. https://www.gardenerreport.com/how-long-do-lavenders-live/

Some were supposed to be sage and that dang cilantro I think bit the dust again!
Man I've got a mess of cilantro coming up in one of my beds from the one plant that went to see last year, but it's one of the "weeds" I don't mind at all.
The new rain barrel...
That does it, I'm going to make a few linked barrels at the back of the house to collect some of our rain. I like your set up and it looks like something that I can adapt for here.

I bit the bullet and put out the baby cucumbers (again) so here's hoping they live this time. I want to get most of the summer squash out as well. Planning on feeding the heck out of the peppers still in the greenhouse and see if I can get them growing faster.

I placed a low platform in the run to get the littles someplace to run and hide then opened the small doors to let them get out with the big girls. The littles have been out there about 2 weeks now and it looks like the see but no touch plan worked a treat again. One of the little cockerels tried to intimidate a big delaware and got shown his error of his ways. The timing for the chicks currently in DP's shower needing to go out to the coop should be about perfect.

Back to the garden, everyone stay dirty!

That does it, I'm going to make a few linked barrels at the back of the house to collect some of our rain. I like your set up and it looks like something that I can adapt for here.
You can buy the spigot kits on Amazon relatively cheap....if you're like me and don't want to hunt for all the pieces at Home Depot. 😂

My garden is 300 ft from my house so it's always a chore to get water out there. I have something like 5 hoses connected together which are hanging on the pasture fence to keep them off the ground. We want to bury a cheap water line but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyway, I like that I can easily fill the can with my hose if I'm watering the garden and there hasn't been enough rain to fill it. Hoping that cuts down on the amount of times I need to turn on the hose....

Funny story about that platform it's sitting on. It showed up next to our garage one day last week. I thought DH put it there. He thought I put it there. After we each realized the other was not responsible for it showing up, we began to wonder who would put a perfectly nice, solid, and undoubtedly expensive piece of wood next to our garage. I was thinking of all the FedEx and UPS drivers who show up at my house numerous times a week. Yesterday evening, the mystery was solved.... Two years ago we bought DS a gamers chair which sat too low to the ground so DH made him that platform to raise it up. I guess he decided he didn't need or want it anymore....and set it outside. DH's comment was "that's why it looks so nice....because *I* built it!" 😂

I have one growing in a 2 gallon pot. It drinks a lot of water and needs to be fed once a week. I think this type of plant can stay alive for a long time. I will do a search to see how long they live.

Okay found it, Lavenders are perennial sub shrubs that can live for 10 -15 years with the optimal care. In cold climates, non English lavenders will only last a year if left outside due to frost. French lavenders tend to be much more then short lived then English lavenders with 5 years considered a long life span. https://www.gardenerreport.com/how-long-do-lavenders-live/
Oh thank you!
What do you feed yours each week?
I've got 2 in this long planter...u think that will work through growin season?

Attachments

• 16534277637422405481807740379042.jpg
    16534277637422405481807740379042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I've got 2 in this long planter...u think that will work through growin season?
They will probably be okay until they start flowering. You will notice that the soil around them will dry out when they get bigger, so you will need to water them more often or upgrade to a bigger size pot.

I have been using a mild blooming type of liquid fertilizer, since my plants are mature and flowering, but my soil has 3 month granular type (10.10,10) mixed in around the rim.

Funny story about that platform it's sitting on. It showed up next to our garage one day last week. I thought DH put it there. He thought I put it there.
OMG that's so funny! And yeah, I was thinking it's way nicer a platform than we can afford so I'm going to use cinder blocks!
Now I’m binge watching Stranger Things for the second time while I make more watering schedules. I like Winona Ryder in this series.
I watched a catchup video on youtube to get ready for the 4th season. We've sure seen those kids grow up over the years. And I agree, Winona Ryder has been great in the series.
Great minds think alike, I have lavender in the same planter NEXT to my chicken run ;)
I have rosemary, sage, yarrow, and thyme outside the covered run but mine are in 5 gallon pots. I'd never be able to keep them watered enough in anything smaller. The sage is gorgeous this year, it's been blooming for at least a month so far.

Resting and cooling off in the house right now but I got a ton of the weeding done and the first 3 raised beds and planted two zucs with many more waiting to be planted. I WILL have lots of zucchini fritters this year, I got robbed last year. :hit

Back
Top Bottom