What did you do in the garden today?

I despise SVB almost as much as the cucumber beetles! I've started planting a 2nd later crop of squash after I pull the garlic or onions & they do better. I'm hoping growing my bush squash on a trellis will help with bugs & mildew too.

I can't keep lavender over winter here, no matter what I do. It's frustrating because I love it but I'm sick of buying new plants every year.

Got the lettuce thinned & did a little weeding. The dahlias are coming up. I'm going to feed everything with fish emulsion today.

The hen that I thought I was going to lose is still around but laying thin shelled eggs that keep breaking in the nest or in my hand. I've been giving her calcium every day but it hasn't helped yet. Not sure what to do with her, she won't be getting any help from DH while I'm gone for the weekend. Sure do wish the calcium would kick in before I go.

I germinate my seeds on a paper towel in a glass petri dish. I put them in sunny trays when their roots come out. However, I also have a six tray dome seed starter. The direction says to let them sprout with the dome on and then take off the dome when they sprout.

I did a similar thing with my dried grocery strawberry seeds. I sprinkled the seeds on moist potting soil and covered them with a plastic wrap. It was in a morning sun place. I just let them be and then one day I saw tiny green straw berry plants, I took off the plastic when I saw them. They some how root them selves with out being buried.

They got a little bigger, but still tiny and green.
That's carazy! Thank u for sharing!

Well still no rain gauage yet so unsure just how much rain we did end up getting.
Guess I'll have to poke around a few plants and see lol.
Yall I been leary of letting my adult babies outta run due to AI, but we have not had any cases in our state. And my Joey boy is all alone with 3 6 wk olds. So I let him out while I was back there gardening. He so stinkin adorable! He stayed right with me and when I went outta sight he was just a bouncing his lil head lookin for me.
Then he found the garden, I normally take him around with me to check on the kale critters and give him the roughed up ones. But he stretched his neck and looked over in the raised bed...then looked at me. I said No Joey...not til it's all done, then you can have it. He did a few more looks back and forth then raised that foot up to jump...back in the run he goes.
But he really seemed to enjoy it!!! The babies were definitely jealous and wondering what Ole Joey was up to!

Oh and if ya made it this far...I need to know how to make a po man's trellis outta twine for some morning glories and sweet peas!!! Any suggestions or ideas...pics would even be better as that's how I learn!

Attachments

• 20220524_162654.jpg
    20220524_162654.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
I despise SVB almost as much as the cucumber beetles! I've started planting a 2nd later crop of squash after I pull the garlic or onions & they do better. I'm hoping growing my bush squash on a trellis will help with bugs & mildew too.

I can't keep lavender over winter here, no matter what I do. It's frustrating because I love it but I'm sick of buying new plants every year.

Got the lettuce thinned & did a little weeding. The dahlias are coming up. I'm going to feed everything with fish emulsion today.

The hen that I thought I was going to lose is still around but laying thin shelled eggs that keep breaking in the nest or in my hand. I've been giving her calcium every day but it hasn't helped yet. Not sure what to do with her, she won't be getting any help from DH while I'm gone for the weekend. Sure do wish the calcium would kick in before I go.

some diseases (like IB) can cause thin shells. they usually improve after a while.

Back
Top Bottom