What did you do in the garden today?

Well still no rain gauage yet so unsure just how much rain we did end up getting.
Guess I'll have to poke around a few plants and see lol.
Yall I been leary of letting my adult babies outta run due to AI, but we have not had any cases in our state. And my Joey boy is all alone with 3 6 wk olds. So I let him out while I was back there gardening. He so stinkin adorable! He stayed right with me and when I went outta sight he was just a bouncing his lil head lookin for me.
Then he found the garden, I normally take him around with me to check on the kale critters and give him the roughed up ones. But he stretched his neck and looked over in the raised bed...then looked at me. I said No Joey...not til it's all done, then you can have it. He did a few more looks back and forth then raised that foot up to jump...back in the run he goes.
But he really seemed to enjoy it!!! The babies were definitely jealous and wondering what Ole Joey was up to!

Oh and if ya made it this far...I need to know how to make a po man's trellis outta twine for some morning glories and sweet peas!!! Any suggestions or ideas...pics would even be better as that's how I learn!
cocorahs.org click on maps at the top of the page and then interactive maps (or maps.cocorahs.org)
click on your state and zoom into your county and find a gauge near your home
it updates every morning around 7am
Consider becoming a volunteer, we always need more.

Over an inch for us and more coming. I need to soak my corn seeds. The dent corn in the fields is already up 3 inches.

Alpacas are still locked up for shearing in the morning. Good thing. They'd be a soggy mess otherwise.

Planted some seeds and a few indoor-started plants last week. Work still in progress.
B62B2AD0-AAD0-4FD4-B1CD-5B4326453C82.jpeg

Yesterday I planted some french green beans and a row of red noodles. Also decided to just go for it and tossed some peas in. Probably way to late but worth a shot. Stopped at a local greenhouse. Veg starts were 3.99 a 6 pack. 😕 Bought some anyway. They had some well started broccoli of a heat tolerant type, some hot cherry peppers that got sprayed with neem before even leaving the truck. White flys and aphids! And some habaneros and ghosts for my brother.
And a pack of parsley cause Id forgotten where I had planted the seeds and hoed it. :oops:

Yesterday I planted some french green beans and a row of red noodles. Also decided to just go for it and tossed some peas in. Probably way to late but worth a shot. Stopped at a local greenhouse. Veg starts were 3.99 a 6 pack. 😕 Bought some anyway. They had some well started broccoli of a heat tolerant type, some hot cherry peppers that got sprayed with neem before even leaving the truck. White flys and aphids! And some habaneros and ghosts for my brother.
And a pack of parsley cause Id forgotten where I had planted the seeds and hoed it. :oops:
Giggling at my image of planting noodles.

Checked the rain gauge this morning....we got exactly an inch of rain. :) Of course, more rain supposed to come today but there's a break between two lines and we look like we might fall right in the middle of it. So I'm thinking there's a *chance* that we won't get anything today. I didn't look under the potatoes, but the bone meal I put out for tomatoes didn't fully water-in.

And, I'm thinking about NOT mulching the cardboard inside the hoop house. I figure I have less of a chance to spread disease to the tomatoes if it's cardboard. Same goes with the squash. Anyone see any issues with this? What might the biggest concern be? Cardboard breaking down more quickly?

Good morning gardeners. Thank you for the article on vine borers @Acre4Me. Did not do much of anything yesterday except for laundry. Went to see new townhouse DD will be moving into in July. Very nice and bright and so much more room than her little apartment. The complex even has a fenced-in dog park and free community garden on site. I planted more kale, carrot and radish seeds this morning. One of the summer squash plants is popping through the dirt. I do have some light weeding to do in the big garden. I planted lavender in both of my herb garden beds 3 years ago and it is still alive. The one plant that my little dog has been lifting his leg near is looking a little peaked, but is still hanging on. This is English lavender. I did had two containers planted by the chicken run and they lasted through two winters then died. Last year I sprung for a huge pot of French Lavender and divided them into two containers. I put them on the covered front porch for the winter then put them out last month in front of the chicken yard. They are looking spectacular and getting ready to bloom. My fig tree usually overwinters in the garage, but I'm going to try to put that on the covered porch next winter along with the lavender and two containers of another perennial (I forgot the name). I see tiny peaches developing on my peach tree. So another spraying is on the list of things to do. Today is weed whacking and cleaning. Always fun. LOL!

I planted 3 kinds of potatoes in later March. They have been happily growing above ground for about 3 weeks, I guess...maybe 4 weeks? And the one kind (a yellow spud named "Carola") is already producing blooms! Last year it was the first one to do so. They will love all the rain we are supposed to get for 3 days...but its not supposed to be excessive rain, but wind and possible hail.
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.31.04 AM.png

It rained all day yesterday, with a total for the day of just over 2.5"...so no outdoor work was done at all. Instead I turned my attention to this 18.77 lb USDA Prime full packer brisket that I picked up for the bargain price (these days) of $3.99/lb. I also have a bunch of kosher salt, curing salt, pickling spice, brown sugar, black pepper, a refrigerator and a smoker. I see a lot of pastrami in my future.

Attachments

• 20220524_124150.jpg
    20220524_124150.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom