What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning everyone. We got some rain at some point during the night, my flip flops were full of water when I went outside earlier. It wasn’t much I’m sure, but at least we got something. This morning I’m transplanting the little lilac to s pot, then I’ll work on the shed until it gets too warm. After that I have housework. Tomorrow I’m going to get more dirt for the veg garden so I can get the three sisters going pretty soon also. Hubs needs to build me some cages to keep the birds out of the seed, good thing next weekend is a long one! I haven’t seen @Wee Farmer Sarah in a few days, I hope all is well! Keep your nails dirty folks.

I’m going to put that on my calendar for next year.
Remind us!
You’re so sweet to feed the skeeters :gig

I’m finding it interesting that so many folks are using shade in places I never thought they would need it.
I had to buy shade cloth a couple years ago for beans which surprised the heck out of me! Of course I use it for lettuce too, but that's not shocking.

We picked the last of the strawberries this am, before the heat, & DH had at least 20 mosquitos around him - not a single one buggin me! :lau

Dehydrating the last of the strawberries today, that should be yum. Too hot & humid to do anything the next couple days so I fed & watered the birds this am & we'll hide inside working on the kitchen. It's so nice not having bugs on my plants *knockonwood*, but such a pain to hand pollinate everything every day.

Remind us!

I had to buy shade cloth a couple years ago for beans which surprised the heck out of me! Of course I use it for lettuce too, but that's not shocking.

We picked the last of the strawberries this am, before the heat, & DH had at least 20 mosquitos around him - not a single one buggin me! :lau

Dehydrating the last of the strawberries today, that should be yum. Too hot & humid to do anything the next couple days so I fed & watered the birds this am & we'll hide inside working on the kitchen. It's so nice not having bugs on my plants *knockonwood*, but such a pain to hand pollinate everything every day.
You hand pollinate! That's gardening to the max!

I have to hand pollinate my squash because it is inside my hoop house so doesn't have access to pollinators. I also "helped" pollinate my tomatoes and sweet corn which are also inside the hoop house. What I find interesting is that the tomatoes that I "help" set WAY more fruit than tomatoes outside the hoop house which I don't hand pollinate.

What I find interesting is that the tomatoes that I "help" set WAY more fruit than tomatoes outside the hoop house which I don't hand pollinate.
That makes sense given that tomato pollination is primarily driven by wind vibrating the flowers and shaking the pollen loose, and a hoop house is going to mostly block the wind.

Like @TJAnonymous my squash & cukes are covered/under bug netting so I have no choice. I do love bug free (so far) plants tho! This is my first year trying it, so far so good. I'm thinking of covering my rutabaga too as @Acre4Me says the loopers like them (I think that's what she said!) but if I don't get moving it'll be too late, lol.

Sorry your colds not done with you yet...hope it passes soon!:hugs

Have you ever tried them as chips? We thin slice them, brush them with olive oil, dust them with a little seasoning and pop them into the dehydrater when we have too many to eat fresh. Can eat them as chips or use them to cook with...like using sundried tomatoes.

No I didn't know that!! I will definitely be trying this now! Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom