What did you do in the garden today?

Once you thaw it and eat the kale is it still good for salads or best used in cooking?
It’s best used as an ingredient in a cooked dish. One of my favorites is shrimp and greens with pasta. I don’t have a recipe. I just sautee the greens with onions or shallots, add shrimp until done then toss with freshly cooked pasta. Season to your tastes.

Last edited:
Ok thank you!
Idk why I thought they'd pop up outta ground...guess that's just radishes?
They do pop up when the bulbs develop, most of the bulb grows above ground but they aren't ready to harvest till the tops fall over - but of course you can harvest & eat any time before. Greens grow first, then bulbs develop. I took a pic of mine today, they still have quite a ways to go but the bulbs are developing:
IMG_20220626_095022613.jpg

My volunteer sungold tomatoes in the path:
IMG_20220626_094945739_HDR.jpg

A kabocha squash (pic thru the netting, don't mind the poor quality):
IMG_20220626_094844859_HDR.jpg

A spaghetti squash, also thru netting:
IMG_20220626_094839252_HDR.jpg

The first brandywine:
IMG_20220626_094743701.jpg

I pulled 3 garlic, 1 big, 1 medium & 1 small - I will leave them in the ground longer:
IMG_20220626_094717317.jpg

The butterfly weed in full bloom, I just love the color:
IMG_20220626_095344129_HDR.jpg

& the overview of the garden coming to life, the beans are climbing well, we snacked on a big handful last night. I am not a huge fan of the 'devils lingerie' bush, but we both loved the rattlesnake poles - very meaty with no strings:
IMG_20220626_095146635_HDR.jpg

Hey let me know if ya got any rain and bout how much! Weather usually works it's way from you to me over here lol!

NICE! We're they sticking up above the ground and that's how u knew they were ready?! My first time growin em and not sure when to harvest!
Well it's 10 am and no rain yet. It was supposed to start around 8 am and we were supposed to get a half inch. Now they are predicting less than a tenth of an inch. Figures... I did not get up this morning to water because I was exhausted so now I have to choose between watering at noon after church or waiting until evening and hoping nothing wilts in the meantime.

I had a huge list of chores for today, since it will only be in the lower 80s and almost no humidity, BUT looks like I'm cutting hay instead. I can do the chores over the next few days while hay dries.
You don't usually get to see 4 maybe 5 windy warm days in a row here so cutting it is.
You know what they say about making hay.........
Watered the garden. I can't find my container of tomato food and it's driving me BONKERS!

I had a epiphany this morning right before I woke up. It was about stewing a Breese heritage chicken and reducing the liquid into a tomato based sweet and sour sauce liken to a twist on ketchup, cooked together with chopped onion, carrots celery, bell peppers and potatoes.

I did a search on YouTube and watched the variations of making Ketchup with fresh tomatoes and came away with a general idea. I will use cherry tomatoes for this adventure, since I have a lot growing in my yard.

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. It’s gross outside! I’m in the chiller cooling off for a bit. Hubs cut the grass and made some ants mad so he’s killing them now. I got the nest boxes set up and refilled the feeder. Pulled a five gallon bucket full of those goat head things, trimmed the bougainvillea and added it all to the compost pile. I learned something new about mesquites. They are a legume and so they fix nitrogen in the soil. I’m researching a few things to create a food forest in the front yard. Some things are difficult to find, but I may try the nursery instead of online sources. Took the dogs to the park, the wee one bit her tongue and then slobbered all over her brother so they’re both a mess and need a bath. Anyway, I hear hubs out there calling, take care.

Back
Top Bottom