What did you do in the garden today?

I have an ornamental emperor lychee tree, I call it ornamental because it has only fruited once in 15 years. They say Lychee trees need a good cold spell and it has to be pruned for it to fruit, so last year I used fruiting fertilizer and pruned it. Furthermore, it was kind of cold this season, but it still didn't fruit........
.:barnie

I decided to buy a grafted Indian lychee tree from a Florida seller on eBay, I asked him if his Lychee tree fruited every year and he replied that it does in abundance.

I am getting ready to chop half of the branches off my Emperor lychee tree, so that my Carrie mango tree next to it can grow its branches in that space. I hope it feels threatened and fruit to preserve its kind.

Last edited:
1D075B4A-BF2B-4554-B16D-88357F43522D.jpeg

I got my first tomatoes today! I was in Alaska for a week and when I came back my garden was so dry. I gave it a good watering this morning, so hopefully it will perk back up. I found some surprise fennel in the garden too. We had planted some last year and it didn’t come back up this year but now some has sprouted up across the garden from where we had originally planted it. So that was kinda cool haha. I also have to harvest some rhubarb, our rhubarb plant is getting out of control!
And one last update, the sunflowers I planted are getting huge! They’re almost as tall as the fence now. I’ll get pics later.

Wait, u dont garden in the buff?! Hey everyone!! This guy doesnt garden in the buff! Someone get him the memo! 🤣ugh the heat tho! In CT now its been low 70's for a few days. Feels nice ☀️🌻🌸🌼🐓
It seems like bugs and grass/plant particles would find their way to places they DEFINITELY don't belong!:gig And now I feel itchy.
One thing about walking onions... Like asparagus, where you put them is where they ARE. Think of them as a perennial crop, and plan on dedicating space for their forever home.

May 6 is World Naked Gardening Day. :lau
That's why I'm trying to figure out where I would want to put them.... My garden will basically be doubled in size next year (most of the extra straw got moved in such a way as to start getting the ground prepped), so, it shouldn't be an issue, but I also want to grow EVERYTHING, so it never seems like I have enough space.
Morning . Skeeters are fewer plus dragonflies hatched . They say they eat skeeters . Ever wonder if fly traps work . Yes but attractant effectiveness varies between brands . I had a low blood sugar of 53 yesterday . Left me wiped out . They have me on Jardiance for my heart but also lowers blood sugar for diabetics . View attachment 3161456
We learned last summer that dragonflies eat mosquitoes because they kept zooming right in front of our faces while we sat on the porch! It's really interesting to watch.

Pretty rare we feel humidity here.
That is because it rains so much you don't know the difference between rain and humidity ;)

I'm hoping to keep it contained
(hoping)
The fact that you put it in a container (sorry) will go a long way to keep it contained. I didn't know what a PITA mint was when DD1 wanted to buy one and we planted it in the garden. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

I need to change my "nothing" to "I pulled tall weeds out of the raspberry bed (joke that it is) and the flower garden in the middle of the back yard. Now we see daisies and some pinkish/purple flowers (that we didn't plant).

Yeah, same. The grass in the pasture is dying and getting crunchy. Real bummer. I'm glad I picked up my hay early because I think we are going to need it over the summer. I'll have to end up getting more for winter which sucks though....

Our grass even looks brown and crunchy here. I was about to go outside and water the garden but I just checked the forecast...maybe I should just wait. 😳

2022-06-27.png

We've had a whitetail doe hanging around the back pasture...and my vegetable garden...since at least mid-April, which I know because of a trail cam I set up back there just to see what sorts of nocturnal visitors might be showing up from the creek area. In some of the images from most of May I could see a bit of a belly paunch on her, which was visible up to May 30, and which then seemed to disappear on photos taken 2 days later (June 1). I told my wife that I think she was pregnant, and had just given birth. Since she shows up back there nearly every day (usually either very early or very late, though on rare occasions she's back there in broad daylight) I've been expecting to eventually see her with a fawn in tow, assuming I was right about her. And late Saturday night I was proven right...sort of. It looks like a small dog in this video, but that's a fawn copping a squat behind mom.
But then it turned out that I was also wrong...sort of. In this clip from the next morning we see mom with 2 young 'uns in tow.
But wait...there's more. A few minutes later we see that we don't have a resident doe with a 2 fawns. We have 2 resident does, with 3 fawns between them....that I know of so far. That's a lot of herbivore mouths to feed. My garden might be doomed.

I got a lot done today. I hope I can do as well tomorrow.

I really need to hoe down the weeds in the heavy soil garden. But it needs some rain first, or it'll be like pounding on cement, the ground is so dry up there. They say maybe tomorrow night.... :fl

There was one potato plant that was in between two rows, a volunteer from a few missed potatoes last year. I dug it up, got about a dozen tiny to small taters. First ones out of the garden. Air fried them, snipped some dill over, and they were great.

Back
Top Bottom