What did you do in the garden today?

i have done a lot
this is my new addition
Sweet mintView attachment 3165519
I have one kind of mint behind my garage, but just got a mint bush that is supposedly straight from China… after being planted, propagated to another home, and then propagated here of course. I’m looking forward to it spreading across my front porch. I’ll have to control it of course. I already have; wild strawberries, blackberries, climbing roses, and a lilac bush running around. :lol:

Good morning all...I had a question while looking at my garden this morning...Does anyone use clover or any other ground cover in their garden. We use straw at the moment but we have bees and I have wondered if clover would work just as well... hope all is well in your garden this morning. The heat wave finally broke and the temp is 65 this morning! So happy.

What are these mounds around my potatoes? Pests? Something burrowing? Mud is pilled..?

Attachments

• 20220624_193439.jpg
    20220624_193439.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220624_193432.jpg
    20220624_193432.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220624_193426.jpg
    20220624_193426.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 1
I have what feels like hundreds of very green tomatoes…I am anxiously awaiting the first red one!
I have several tiny green ones. I talked with my neighbor about our respective gardens. They harvested over 1000 tomatoes last year. Yup, a thousand. Plus cherry toms. She's the one who cans about 150 quarts of tomatoes a year. Makes me feel like a slacker, doing just 50-60.
I can’t remember if I posted this picture before or not
Neither can I! :lau Honestly, I don't think anyone will mind if it's a repeat.

I really need to hoe down the weeds in the heavy soil garden. But since we haven't had rain in 12 days, the clay is hard as cement. (I water the plants individually, not the whole garden.) It would be asking for wrist and elbow damage to try to hoe that stuff. I might see if I can scrape the hoe across the ground to decapitate some of the weeds, but I'm not going to be chopping anything out.

It is delightfully cool, almost chilly in the house, right now. It got down to 49 overnight, and we had the windows in the bedroom open. Needed an extra blanket, and it felt wonderful.

Have you scraped the dirt away from these areas? Some pests, like gophers, eat root veg from below. But, it could be that the potato itself has become large enough to push up the dirt.
I have not, because I didn't want to disturb the potatoes. It is pilled though, not normal looking which leads me to believe it's not being caused by a spud.

Good morning all...I had a question while looking at my garden this morning...Does anyone use clover or any other ground cover in their garden. We use straw at the moment but we have bees and I have wondered if clover would work just as well... hope all is well in your garden this morning. The heat wave finally broke and the temp is 65 this morning! So happy.
I thought about it, but decided it would more likely become a nuisance.

I have not, because I didn't want to disturb the potatoes. It is pilled though, not normal looking which leads me to believe it's not being caused by a spud.
You can push dirt away without disturbing the roots. The root ends with the spud, so no roots past the spud. If something is eating your spuds, you can see that. Just recover the spuds when done.

Back
Top Bottom